• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS Help

N

nelsok

I am new to hosting.

I just collocated my server. I have 1u and 5 static IPs. The place I collocated at has 3 DNS servers. Can I use these servers for my sites in plesk or do I need to create my own DNS servers? If I do need to create my own I would like to create both servers on the same box(I know this is a bad thing to do but I only have 1u). Another thing I do not understand about dns is why each domain needs to have its own ns.domain.com

I registered ns.domain.com and ns1.domain.com with my registrar as being domain servers and assinged them each a differant IP. I think this is needed as part of setting up my DNS servers on my machine.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Maybe I should be more specific. I do not understand the differance between the DNS settings within plesk and the dns settings I would have to on a dns server. why does plesk create dns entries? Do i still have to create the same dns entries on the dns server?

kyle.

Originally posted by softpac2000
Kyle,

Read this posts:

http://forum.sw-soft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14373

http://forum.sw-soft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13528

As far as using other DNS servers, you can do so.

Make the Plesk DNS server your Primary Name Serverand the others your Secondary Name Servers. That way whatever changes users make to the DNS entries, will be replicated to the other secondary servers.

Hope this helps!
Ricardo...

when you say "the primary plesk dns server do you mean the ns.domain.tld that the plesk dns template creates for each new domain?

I do not want to use other DNS servers. I do not know if pleask is its own DNS server or if I HAVE to use other DNS servers.

kyle

Kyle,

Plesk can use either the Microsoft DNS server or the Bind DNS server. Bind comes with Plesk and the Microsoft DNS server comes with the Windows Server.

In either case you need to choose which one you want to use. You do this under the Server / Components Management in Plesk.

The DNS server you choose above will be your primary DNS server.

ns1.yourdomain.com (would be your primary name server)
ns2.yourdomain.com (would be your secondary name server)

You can point both name servers to the same physical machine but it defeats the purpose. (no redundancy)

The reason for having two DNS servers is for redundancy in case one of them fails. In other words your secondary name servers should point to a different machine (IP). There can only be one primary name server but there can be multiple secondary name servers. Secondary name servers have a copy of all the primary zones (ex: yourdomain.com - would be a zone).

You can setup the server DNS template so that every time you create a domain it creates a DNS entry for the domain pointing to the primary and secondary name servers you choose.

Read the two links I supplied to you specially the second one, it has a lot of details on how to do it and how it works.

Hope this helps!
Ricardo...:cool:

Ricardo,

Your posts have helped a lot.

I have one more question before i wait about 3 days to see if what i have done works.

In my domain template I am trying to minimize all unneeded dns entries. I have setup
<domain>. NS ns1.mycompany.com
<comain>. NS ns2.mycompany.com

my question is do i still need to have the following entry or any A entry for clients domains if they are going to be using ns1.mycompany.com and ns2.mycompany.com

ns.<domain>. A <ip>

Kyle

Kyle,

The answer is No. As long as the domain has a primary and secondary name servers, that's all it needs.

You can safely remove that entry as long as you are not using it in one of your registrars as a name server for one of your domains.

Hope this helps!

Ricardo -

My domains still will not resolve.

I have registered the domains ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com with my registrar usng seperate ips for each as name servers.

In plesk:

I have this as my dns records.

207.xxx.xxx.84 / 24 PTR domain.com.
domain.com. A 207.xxx.xxx.84
domain.com. MX (10) mail.domain.com.
domain.com. NS ns1.domain.com.
domain.com. NS ns2.domain.com.
ftp.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.
mail.domain.com. A 207.xxx.xxx.84
mssql.domain.com. A 207.xxx.xxx.84
ns1.domain.com. A 207.xxx.xxx.82
ns2.domain.com. A 207.xxx.xxx83
sitebuilder.domain.com. A 207.xxx.xxx.84
webmail.domain.com. A 207.xxx.xxx.84
www.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.

I am able to access plesk via https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443

I am running bind as the dns serer.

It has been over 72 hours

When I do a whois ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com show up as the ns servers.

My NS1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com show as active with my registrar.

I have no idea what to do now.

Kyle,

Try this in this order:
1. type "ipconfig /flushdns" in the command line (This flushes the Resolver cache)
2. Stop the DNS server
3. Start the DNS server
4. type "nslookup yourdomain.com" in the command line (this should reply with your IP address) **Make sure is correct
5. type "nslookup -type=ns yourdomain.com" in the command line. (This will list your name servers)
6. type nslookup -type=soa yourdomain.com" (This will tell you which is your primary name server)

Try accessing yourdomain.com again...

Also don't forget to check your firewall settings!...

Hope this helps!

i am getting dns request timeouts when doing the nslookup on my domain
not sure what that exactlt his means besides the dns erver isnt working.

I restarted the dns server.

I flushed the dns cache

Run those commands from the server... and check the firewall on the server...

does it matter that my server has differant dns server ips within the tcp/ip config?

The company i am collcated with gave me 3 dns server ips to put in here. should these be changed to the ips that I am using in plesk as dns servers?

Do you have this entry in your Server DNS template?...

<domain>. A <ip>

Also if you made changes to your Server DNS template, you need to click on "Default" in each of the domains you are hosting...

**Please note that clicking on Default will wipe out any additional DNS configurations you have made to your domains...

**So don't do this on your primary domain....

Hope this helps!

here is my template:

<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns1.domainserver.com.
<domain>. NS ns2.domainserver.com.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
mssql.<domain>. A <ip>
ns.<domain>. A <ip>
sitebuilder.<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

the dns info from my previouse post is the domain i am trying to setup with the ns servers so i can just use ns1.domainserver.com and ns2.domainserver.com for all domains and not create ns for each domain seperatly

Yes,

It matters...

It is using those servers to resolve DNS queries... from within the server...

1.Change them to your primary and secondary name servers...
2. flush the resolver cache once again
3. do the nslookup to see if it resolves...

Ricardo...

Change your Template to this:

<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns1.domainserver.com.
<domain>. NS ns2.domainserver.com.
*******REMOVE <ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
*******REMOVE mail.<domain>. A <ip>
mssql.<domain>. A <ip>
*******REMOVE ns.<domain>. A <ip>
*******REMOVE sitebuilder.<domain>. A <ip>
*******REMOVE webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

after messing with this stuff and following all your directions I decided to try one last thing. I switched to the MS DNS server. After i did this all names were being resolved. Any idea why bind wouldnt work? Are there any drawbacks to using MS DNS?

It is just a matter of preference!...

In my opinion if you are going to update records manually then the MS DNS server is much easier to do since it has an interface. (Only works in Windows Servers)

The BIND requires you to have more knowledge when updating it manually, and there is no interface, you have to create and edit files manually. One good thing about BIND is that once you know how to configure it you can use it in a lot of different Operating Sytems (Ex: Linux, Unix, Windows, etc...)

Primary and secondary name servers don't have to be the same either, you can mix them. (Ex: MS DNS primary and BIND as secondary) On different servers of course.

Hope this helps!

Hello

I got the same trouble like nelsok had

I tried eveything that shows in here, but the domain is not display.

I ping, nslookup, or browser the domain in the server is OK.

I think that maybe my ISP block some port in my connection.

Does domain in plesk need the port in order to be viewed??

Please help me

Thank You

hiepkhach,

Please be more specific on what issue you are having so that I can try to help you.

Make sure port 53 is open in your Plesk Server for both TCP and UDP protocols.

Also make sure that port 80 is open for TCP.

If you have a business account with your ISP then your ports shouldn't be blocked. On the other hand if you are using a home account, most likely most of your ports are being blocked by your provider.

If you can see the website from within the server but not from outside of the server then your problem most likely is that some of your ports are being blocked either at the firewall level or by your provider.

Please give me mor info so that I can try to help you better.

Hope this helps!

Back