• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS question about the server template

N

nhouse

Hi Folks... I have a DNS question for you about the proper setup of the server template. I have three IPs to use and I plan on using one for sharing the domains and the other two for nameservers. I have altered the DNS template "hopefully" to let them replicate properly to the resulting new domains as I set them up. I am not very familiar with Plesk so things just look differently than what I am used to with other control panels.

I have attached a screen cap of what I have done. Please view it and let me know if things look "ok." I did create one new domain and it seems to be functioning properly... BUT I want to be sure of things before I create a bunch of new domain accounts.

Thanks so much for your input!

EDITED: I don't think the attachment made the post so look here for the screen cap.

The only 2 points I can see would be:

1. You will only want a single PTR record per IP, so if you create 100 domains, you would end up with 100 PTR records for the one IP. Else things like random mail.domain.com showing up in mail headers, instead of just mail.nhousemedia.net

2. Having NS1.<domain> and NS2.<domain>, you will need to remember to create/register new nameservers for each and every domain.
That is if you want each domain to have their own nameservers instead of using your domain name as the name servers.

Having the A records without registering them as name servers is superfluous. Since they are not 'real' registered name servers, they will not actually participate in DNS lookups for the domain.

Since you already have your main nameservers registered ns1.nhousemedia.net and ns2.nhousemedia.net, you can remove the others unless you want to remember to create new ones for each domain. Each admin has their own preference for this.

Thanks for the input... I have a "general" knowledge of the DNS zones and so forth... BUT I am struggling with how Plesk uses this server template system. I really want to get it right before I get a bunch of domains moved to this new setup.

Please bear with me if I seem a little slow on the uptake, so to speak.... and I do sincerely appreciate the tips and help. Let me ask a few questions about your two points and hopefully you can help me to get them right:

1. for the PTR record... if it is in the default setup for the server template, then wouldn't it keep replicating it anyway? I am confused by this. Are you saying that the PTR record should only show up for the domain I am using as the host for the nameservers? This one being "nhousemedia.net?" If this is the case, it would need to be removed from the server template? I certainly don't want to confuse the mail headers.

2. I have tried to change the records in the server template to read nhousemedia.net. NS ns1.nhousemedia.net. so that it would replicate in that fashion... however the result looks like nhousemedia.net<domain>. NS ns1.nhousemedia.net. I assume the <domain>. shouldn't show up in that line. I can't figure out how to edit it out. Again, forgive me for the lack of knowledge in Plesk routines. I have read the admin manual and it says that you can either use the actual domain name or use the <domain> tag in the DNS entry. If you can, please elaborate on how this is properly done.

I ran into the same issue with altering the "A" records... and just to be clear, I do want to use the same nameservers for all of the domains I add.

1. That is correct, I would remove those from the template, and only leave the PTR record for your own domain. This is an old issue, not really a 'problem', but can confuse users if they see someone else's domain name in their email headers....

2. Actually you already have 2 proper NS records which point to your ns1 and ns2.nhousemedia.net (per your graphic), so all you would need to do is remove the other 2 A records (ns1.<domain>, ns2.<domain>)

Your template already has your ns1.nhousemedia.net and ns2.nhousemedia.net as NS records, that's all you need for the new domains.

Many admins choose to use their own ns records for all the hosted domains, unless a client absolutely has to have their own showing, then you can charge them a small fee, register new ns servers at their registrar and point them to your same IP addresses. Or not charge, up to you.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks again for the info... if you don't mind, let me ask you another question or two. I just want to make sure I have a solid understanding of all of this before I get "too" far along with it.

1. I believe that is resolved now... thank you.

2. Is there a way to have the NS records show up as to "always" come out as nhousemedia.net. NS ns1.nhousemedia.net. I am afraid I can't figure out how to get the <domain> tag out of the equation. If I leave the NS record setup in the server template with that <domain> tag in it, won't it keep using the new domain names as substitutes?

3. Ok, I hope I'm not asking too much but... can I also add a TXT record in the template for SPF? If I do and it then replicates to newly created domains... will that be proper? SPF records and proper email delivery seems to be a growing issue.

I really do appreciate your input... thanks!

In your DNS template just setup the following as your NS records.
<domain>. NS ns1.nhousemedia.net.

I haven't messed with SPF in plesk yet, so I'm not sure if it can be done through the template.

Thanks for the reply... anyone else had experience with this?
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by nhouse
2. Is there a way to have the NS records show up as to "always" come out as nhousemedia.net. NS ns1.nhousemedia.net. I am afraid I can't figure out how to get the <domain> tag out of the equation. If I leave the NS record setup in the server template with that <domain> tag in it, won't it keep using the new domain names as substitutes?

3. Ok, I hope I'm not asking too much but... can I also add a TXT record in the template for SPF? If I do and it then replicates to newly created domains... will that be proper? SPF records and proper email delivery seems to be a growing issue.

I really do appreciate your input... thanks!
As I said earlier, your NS records in your server template are correct. You do not want the HOST entry to be nhousemedia.net for other domains, it should be <domain>. NS ns1.nhousemedia.net (and ns2)

For example, if you look at the NS records for dnsstuff.com you will see their domain name listed as the host with their DNS running through ns0.dnsmadeeasy.com

dnsstuff.com. NS IN 172800 ns0.dnsmadeeasy.com.

This is as it is supposed to be.

Yes, you can add a TXT record to the server template for the SPF which would be like:

<domain>. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ~all"

I really appreciate your patient help and input. Now... if I could only figure out why the main template lost it's entries last night... grumble, grumble. Kinda scares me... the not knowing part.

:confused:

Only 2 ways I know of, either you clicked on 'Default', or re-installed or upgraded Plesk.

I've seen people accidentally click on 'Default' before, it happens :)

and you are quite welcome for the assistance. Always glad to help out when I can. I admire your spirit and willingness to make sure it is all correct before moving hosted domains onto the server, I wish more new hosts had that philosophy!

Just in case anyone is interested in "my" final cut... here is a screen cap of the DNS server template that I have now. I appreciate the input from the members of the forum who gave me help on it... especially James Yee. Thanks!

click here to view a screen cap

• This setup assumes that your NS1 and NS2 records are registered with your registrar on two additional IPs.
  • Also, it assumes that all of the domains will share one IP (20).
  • That one IP (20) is listed in the SPF record since all the domains share it.

Marco... hope this helps!

Looks good except for webmail. You do not want that there if you are using the webmail bundled/controled by plesk. When you enable webmail for a domain, it creates that DNS record, in the same way that clicking on www creates that reconrd.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... that's what is nice about web forums. I appreciate the tip. I assumed that since Plesk put that in there as a default, it needed to be left alone... but what you say makes sense. Plesk also puts "lists" in the record for you when needed. Thanks again everyone for the help.

;)

Originally posted by serve-you.net
When you enable webmail for a domain, it creates that DNS record
I've never seen a selectable option to enable/disable webmail in the CP, so I've always left the webmail.<domain> A <ip> in the template.

Could you please tell me where this option is?

Thanks, I looked at that screen about a thousand times and didn't see it, as a matter of fact, I had just looked at that screen a couple of times just now and still didn't see it.

Time to just shoot me like an old race horse!

That's one of the "problems" with the newer versions of plesk. They started putting options in places that kind of make sense! Us old users overlook the obvious, since we're so used to options all being clumped together on one or two pages.

It took me a good 20 minutes of clicking every page one day to find where you enable/disable spam filtering for a user.

Yeah, and they had to do an XP looking skin (I hate XP) Give me a blinking cursor on a term screen! lol I miss the old days, warm green glow filling the room, sound of the teletype terminal clacking away.....

Back