• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS Question

S

slemke

Hi !

I am using the DNS-Service of Plesk - my Domain is infoworxx.de, the primary DNS Server is ns.infoworxx.de.
Everything works fine.

Now I register a second domain,
testtest.de
for example.
I set up the domain in plesk, the DNS Service is enabled.

When I try to use "ns.infoworxx.de" as Nameserver for "testtest.de" my registrar gives me an error; he says "ns.infoworxx.de" cannot be used as nameserver for the domain.

But on the other side I cannot add in Plesk "testtest.de" in the DNS Service of "infoworxx.de". Is there any possibility to do so ? I would like it, because it "looks" good, if somebody queries the domain.

Regards,
Sebastian

pse - it is really important - can nobody help me out ?

?!?!

There are a few things you need to take into account when using your own DNS servers.

First of all, you should be aware that some registries are very picky about DNS servers (eg. .dk, .de and .nl). Some like .nl even have an online tool that can be used to verify that a particular DNS server complies with their rules.

Secondly, before you can use ns.adomain.xx as a DNS server, you must register the name server itself via your registrar. For this, you need the IP address pointing to ns.adomain.xx. If you do not know how to register a name server for a domain, contact support at the registrar for that domain. We cannot help you with that since this is not done with PLesk; even worse, it will be slightly different from registrar to registrar.

Thirdly, after your new name server has been registered, just use the PLesk admin screens and change the DNS server for the domain.

I'd like to add the following: I personally prefer to have name servers (at least two) that are not related to the domain. If the server on which the domain is hosted goes down, I can very quickly point to a backup server without needing to adjust the name servers. My choice for years now has been to use ZoneEdit's DNS services and I'm very satisfied with this.

Ron

Secondly, before you can use ns.adomain.xx as a DNS server, you must register the name server itself via your registrar. For this, you need the IP address pointing to ns.adomain.xx. If you do not know how to register a name server for a domain, contact support at the registrar for that domain.

Ok, I geuess here is the Problem; I have a Nameserver (ns.infoworxx.de, administrated via Plesk), but this Nameserver does NOT accept any other entries than for the infoworxx.de Domain. I have in my Admin no chance to add an entry for adomain.xx - correct ?

I'd like to add the following: I personally prefer to have name servers (at least two) that are not related to the domain. If the server on which the domain is hosted goes down, I can very quickly point to a backup server without needing to adjust the name servers. My choice for years now has been to use ZoneEdit's DNS services and I'm very satisfied with this.

Ok, thats definitly right ! I will use such a service, too - but nevertheless it would be interesting, if the problem cound be solved another way,too ?

Regards,
Sebastian

Ron [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, I geuess here is the Problem; I have a Nameserver (ns.infoworxx.de, administrated via Plesk), but this Nameserver does NOT accept any other entries than for the infoworxx.de Domain. I have in my Admin no chance to add an entry for adomain.xx - correct ?
No, that's right. If the "master" domain for your (PLesk) server is "infoworxx.de", then you cannot add the domain "adomain.xx" in the control panel for "infoworxx.de". But- you can add the domain "adomain.xx" to the server. This will create a few DNS entries for "adomain.xx" on this server. Your name server ns.infoworxx.de will automatically provide DNS services for "adomain.xx".

However, when I look at infoworxx.de and testtest.de, I get the impression that testtest.de is not located on the same server as infoworxx.de. Is that the case? Are you trying to make ns.infoworxx.de work as a secondary server for a domain that is hosted elsewhere?

Continue using dnsstuff.com and dnsreport.com to check out the details of your domains and name servers. I think you will eventually find a solution.

Hi !

it is not testtest.de it is geo-tex.ru - at the time I posted the message the second domain was not available already.

I have just tried an update of the domain with ns.infoworxx.de as primary nameserver.

BTW:
Is it a good idea to use plesk as secondary nameserver and a third party service as primary nameserver ?

Regards,
Sebastian

Back