• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS Questions

J

joshabts

Hello all,

So I am by no means a DNS expert and I have a few questions regarding DNS with Plesk. I currently am running a NAT environment. That said I have read the KB articles on this but I am having trouble with creating DNS records. When a user elects to create a new subdomain it is creating it with the internal private IP eventhough I have changed all of the entries in the system DNS template to be the public ip for the shared hosting. Anyone been able to correct this?

Secondly, I would like to "sync" all of my DNS entries from my plesk server to an outside DNS server. From what I understand I want my plesk server to remain the master dns server but run a secondary or slave server somewhere else. Has anyone done this before that could provide me with some steps as to what I will need to do. Even if just general I can research the details I am just not sure if this is even possible, I would think it should be though considering Plesk is using BIND as its DNS.

Thanks,
Joshua Abts

If you're using NAT, then make sure that you use 1-to-1 NAT. That works the best in a hosting setup. Your DNS server also needs to be behind the firewall, so all of the records need to be referring to the private IP addresses, while your firewall performs the translation.

Not much of a problem with NAT, than an expected behavior. You can't slave a public DNS server on your internal. You *can* write a script to re-write the IP addresse during the zone transfers.

My DNS server is behind my firewall, but that is where the issue lies, because then it sets the dns addresses for the records to the private IP so when you try accessing from outside the firewall it wants to use a private address. Thus why I followed the KB article and set everything to the public IP that is NAT'd to my server.

I still want to be able to setup a secondary dns server outside my firewall to provide some disperse geographic area between the two. I was looking around and I think ART has put together a script that does something like this?

I have it setup the same way but again the firewall translates the public to internal, hence the 1-to-1 NAT. What firewall device are you using? I believe your translation table needs to be modified.

Not sure about the script, ART (don't know who) would be able to provide more feedback.

Back