• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS Recursion / Hidden bug

3dguru

DNS recursion sets itself on after any DNS updates under a domain in MS DNS under Plesk Windows 8.1.

When you go to DNS recursion settings page (on Plesk) after an update it still shows OFF, if you dont update again from there, it will stay ON (on MS DNS itself) in MS DNS/Advanced settings.

Originally posted by igoldman
Hello,

I already reported about this bug to Plesk support dept.

Good... Did you receive any update yet?

No , I didn't receive.

You may write also to

Eugene Tarasov
Head of Support
Email: [email protected]

and report to him that you also encounter such issue and this is absolutely a bug inside Plesk Control Panel.

No , I didn't receive.

You may write also to

Eugene Tarasov
Head of Support
Email: [email protected]

and report to him that you also encounter such issue and this is absolutely a bug inside Plesk Control Panel.

Thanks, I did.

Gentlemen,

I opened a ticket for one of participants of this thread and requested server access so that Plesk Development could investigate it in details.

By now we have information that cause of this problem is slow refresh of GUI in MS DNS. Please try to

1. Switch DNS recursion in Plesk
2. Wait for 5-10 seconds
3. Enter to MS DNS management console and refresh information there by pressing F5

I asked for server access to check if information was updated in MS DNS but not updated in Plesk. If so then this is bug of Plesk and it has to be fixed. If this is bug of MS DNS with slow refresh then I can sugest you to use alternate DNS servers supported by Plesk. Such as Bind or SimpleDNS.

Thank you for reporting.

Hello Eugene Tarasov,

I will upgrade to Plesk 8.1 and will make a deeply check reagrding DNS recrusion because currently the server which such behavior happened is Plesk 7.6.1

I will keep you updated after findings.

Originally posted by Eugene Tarasov
Gentlemen,

I opened a ticket for one of participants of this thread and requested server access so that Plesk Development could investigate it in details.

By now we have information that cause of this problem is slow refresh of GUI in MS DNS. Please try to

1. Switch DNS recursion in Plesk
2. Wait for 5-10 seconds
3. Enter to MS DNS management console and refresh information there by pressing F5

I asked for server access to check if information was updated in MS DNS but not updated in Plesk. If so then this is bug of Plesk and it has to be fixed. If this is bug of MS DNS with slow refresh then I can sugest you to use alternate DNS servers supported by Plesk. Such as Bind or SimpleDNS.

Thank you for reporting.

Thank you for your decent answer.

But the problem is different:

1. First you set DNS recursion OFF (no problem)
2. When you go to Domains/anydomain.com/DNS and edit or just enter to a zone data and save you will see the DNS recursion set to ON again in MS DNS.

Hello 3dguru,

May you please take the following steps and tell us what happened.

1) disable DNS recursion through Plesk
2) verify that inside MS DNS the forward is disabled (which also disable recursion) through MMC
3) on windows 2003 > start > run
4) execute the following commands.
5) cd %plesk_bin%
6) dnsmng.exe update *
7) wait until the process is done.
8) open MSDNS and check what happened for DNS recursion.

Hello 3dguru,

May you please take the following steps and tell us what happened.

1) disable DNS recursion through Plesk
2) verify that inside MS DNS the forward is disabled (which also disable recursion) through MMC
3) on windows 2003 > start > run
4) execute the following commands.
5) cd %plesk_bin%
6) dnsmng.exe update *
7) wait until the process is done.
8) open MSDNS and check what happened for DNS recursion.

1) Server/DNS/DNS Recursion set to Deny.
2) MMC MS DNS/Server name right click and properties/Advanced/Disable Recursion is set. Forward is disabled. (Verified)
3-4-5-6) Done.
8) Same as 2. MMC MS DNS/Server name right click and properties/Advanced/Disable Recursion is set.

Thank you.

The first 2 files dont seem to be linked properly.

I receive the error message for:
dnsmng.exe
msprov.dll

Resource you requested cannot be found.
The document you have requested does not exist. Please check the URL or use search to find the information you are looking for.

Please try the following:

Contact the Web site administrators to let them know that this error has occured for this URL address.
Try again later.

Help required..

Dear Sir

I am facing issues with my plesk 8.1 for windows that even after the users change their control panel passwords from domain administrator it does not get changed and remains the same . I have upgraded from plesk 7.5.6 to 8.1 then to 8.1 .

One more issue that in limits if i keep my sql to 0 . It does not allow me to create ms sql 2000 db even if I allocate resources and after i make my sql = 1 then it works fine .

Please suggest something .

Regards

Hostmenow

Re: Help required..

Originally posted by hostmenow
Dear Sir

I am facing issues with my plesk 8.1 for windows that even after the users change their control panel passwords from domain administrator it does not get changed and remains the same . I have upgraded from plesk 7.5.6 to 8.1 then to 8.1 .

One more issue that in limits if i keep my sql to 0 . It does not allow me to create ms sql 2000 db even if I allocate resources and after i make my sql = 1 then it works fine .

Please suggest something .

Regards

Hostmenow

Please open another thread, this thread is for another issue.

Originally posted by 3dguru
Thank you.

The first 2 files dont seem to be linked properly.

I receive the error message for:
dnsmng.exe
msprov.dll

Thank you. The article has been corrected. Please check.

Hello, I tried as written in that article to replace them 3 files, but it ain't working, after going to "DNS Recursion" tab it says:

The operation you were performing failed. You can retry the operation with or without changing its parameters. You may also want to report this problem to our support so that we could help you as soon as possible.

UPDATE: sorted, it was the permissions problem.

Back