• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS Service Vulnerability / Plesk 8.6 / Disable Recursive DNS Queries

bradz

Regular Pleskian
Hi, I received a notice about updating DNS BIND, since I use Plesk, it can cause other issues (going by the same notice).
The reason stated for the DNS BIND update is due to DNS cache poisoning which can occur from recursive DNS queries.

After searching more I realized the plesk 8.6 is available. Then I located a document called "How do I disable recursive DNS queries on my Linux dedicated/virtual dedicated server?"

Now for the question, what is the best way to proceed? I do see that some issues are occurring with 8.4 to 8.6 upgrades, so I am thinking that I should hold off for a 8.6 later release. Due to the potential issues of updating DNS BIND that can cause issues with Plesk, I am thinking that may I should disable recursive DNS queries.

Or maybe I should not worry about the DNS BIND in my hosting setup (when is this a real issue? and when is it not?).

Any help or input on this situation is very much appreciated!
Brad

On that note, is there a way to specify which subnets can perform DNS recursion?

BIND is not provided by Plesk, but by your OS vendor, so those are independent updates.

See Server > DNS Settings > DNS Preferences for allowing recursion. You can choose between any host, localnets and localhost.

Back