1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

DNS Service Vulnerability / Plesk 8.6 / Disable Recursive DNS Queries

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by bradz, Aug 10, 2008.

1. bradz

bradz Regular Pleskian

57%
    Hi, I received a notice about updating DNS BIND, since I use Plesk, it can cause other issues (going by the same notice).
    The reason stated for the DNS BIND update is due to DNS cache poisoning which can occur from recursive DNS queries.

After searching more I realized the plesk 8.6 is available. Then I located a document called "How do I disable recursive DNS queries on my Linux dedicated/virtual dedicated server?"

Now for the question, what is the best way to proceed? I do see that some issues are occurring with 8.4 to 8.6 upgrades, so I am thinking that I should hold off for a 8.6 later release. Due to the potential issues of updating DNS BIND that can cause issues with Plesk, I am thinking that may I should disable recursive DNS queries.

Or maybe I should not worry about the DNS BIND in my hosting setup (when is this a real issue? and when is it not?).

Any help or input on this situation is very much appreciated!
    Brad

2. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    On that note, is there a way to specify which subnets can perform DNS recursion?

3. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

BIND is not provided by Plesk, but by your OS vendor, so those are independent updates.

See Server > DNS Settings > DNS Preferences for allowing recursion. You can choose between any host, localnets and localhost.