• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Domains alias for sub-domains

C

Cadey

Hello

I'm hosting domain.com on a Linux Plesk server.
I'm also hosting sub1.domain.com

Is it possible to create a domain alias that points to the subdomain?

For instance domain2.net will point to sub1.domain.com

Thanks

Cadey

Yes

Just setup domain2.net as "Standard forwarding" and choose sub1.domain.com as target. Just waive the Alias-functionality

Searchengines normally recognize any redirects of a domain, as the webserver responses with

301 - Moved Permanently
A status code of 301 tells a client that the resource they asked for has permanently moved to a new location. The response should also include this location. It tells the client to use the new URL the next time it wants to fetch the same resource.

So, the searchengines will "ignore" the Domain you've redirected from. For SEO (Search Engine Optimization) this wont help.

The best way for this would really be copying the content, that the engine sees same content on both domains.

The example you gave, looks like a Frame Forwarding, but SEO and Frames aren't best friends ;)

But with a little trick you can double the contents: Just use the same DocumentRoot for both domains and the search engine doesn't know that.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

I often use subdomains for development & testing (stage.somedomain.com). I need to confirm things are working there before pointing the DNS at my server and hosting the main somedomain.com. The main domain has approved content, so I don't want to use it for development and it needs to stay unchanged after the domain transfer. The staging subdomain lives on after the transfer so I can continue to work on it without affecting the main site, but I still need to access it before the DNS is changed.

On other servers, I've done this by aliasing a subdomain of one of my own domains which already exists on my server and pointing it at the not-yet-transferred stage.somedomain.com.

How can I do this in Plesk?

somedomain.com
(existing domain is hosted elsewhere and set up as a domain in Plesk to prepare for transfer)

stage.somedomain.com
(set up as a subdomain in Plesk)

somedomain.my-example.com
(Already hosted on Plesk, I want it to host content from stage.somedomain.com on my server.)

Back