1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Domains alias for sub-domains

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by Cadey, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Cadey

Cadey Guest

Hello

I'm hosting domain.com on a Linux Plesk server.
    I'm also hosting sub1.domain.com

Is it possible to create a domain alias that points to the subdomain?

For instance domain2.net will point to sub1.domain.com

Thanks

Cadey

2. Blackbit@

Blackbit@ Guest

Yes

Just setup domain2.net as "Standard forwarding" and choose sub1.domain.com as target. Just waive the Alias-functionality

3. Cadey

Cadey Guest

OK, but what will be the impact for search engines?

Will I be able to have all the links like www.domain2.net/myfile.php that will be the same than sub.domain1.com/myfile.php ?

4. Blackbit@

Blackbit@ Guest

Searchengines normally recognize any redirects of a domain, as the webserver responses with

So, the searchengines will "ignore" the Domain you've redirected from. For SEO (Search Engine Optimization) this wont help.

The best way for this would really be copying the content, that the engine sees same content on both domains.

The example you gave, looks like a Frame Forwarding, but SEO and Frames aren't best friends ;)

But with a little trick you can double the contents: Just use the same DocumentRoot for both domains and the search engine doesn't know that.

5. Cadey

Cadey Guest

Great idea with the documentroot ! Thanks

6. Blackbit@

Blackbit@ Guest

My pleasure ;)

7. Cadey

Cadey Guest

8. avit

avit Guest

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

9. avit

avit Guest

I often use subdomains for development & testing (stage.somedomain.com). I need to confirm things are working there before pointing the DNS at my server and hosting the main somedomain.com. The main domain has approved content, so I don't want to use it for development and it needs to stay unchanged after the domain transfer. The staging subdomain lives on after the transfer so I can continue to work on it without affecting the main site, but I still need to access it before the DNS is changed.

On other servers, I've done this by aliasing a subdomain of one of my own domains which already exists on my server and pointing it at the not-yet-transferred stage.somedomain.com.

How can I do this in Plesk?

somedomain.com
    (existing domain is hosted elsewhere and set up as a domain in Plesk to prepare for transfer)

stage.somedomain.com
    (set up as a subdomain in Plesk)

somedomain.my-example.com
    (Already hosted on Plesk, I want it to host content from stage.somedomain.com on my server.)