• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

dynamic IP

L

LeeParker

Forum won't allow a search on ip - too short & dynamic shows nothing.

How do I administer a dedicated server when I have a dynamic IP address. Can I set a wildcard in my Plesk firewall?

Thanks,

First of all, I don't understand why anyone would want to run a server on a dynamic IP...

You will need to find and install a dynamic DNS client module for your server. Setup your domain's DNS records on an external DNS host which handles dynamicDNS updates on the internet (since your server's IP is ever changing, you cannot use it effectively as a DNS server...).

Once this is done, then the dynamic DNS module should be able to regularly update the external dynamic DNS service with your server's *current* IP address.

Your other option, of course, would be to get a static IP service for your server....

Whoops, my mistake in not being clear....My dial-up is dynamic. When configuring the firewall, can I use a wildcard * in the IP addresses I want to include for root access?

Just leave it at it's defaut of 'Allowed, excluding networks in the list' and leave the list blank. This will 'allow' from all IPs.

Common mistake for newbies is to put either their own IP or subnet into the list, which will block it, pay attention to the wording...

Hi jamesyeeoc

i want to block all ssh access except me (of course), but at home i have a dynamic ip connection only and plesk firewall seems do not accept * wildcard like 134.54.*.* .. have you a solution?

thanx and have e great xmas time :D

Found!

83.0.0.0/8 means 83.*.*.*
83.0.0.0/16 means 83.0.*.*
83.0.0.0/24 means 83.0.0.*
83.0.0.0/32 means 83.0.0.0

thanx anyway ;)

Back