• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Easiest/Fastest/Most Reliable

J

JVRudnick

are the words I want to use when asking the question "what is the Easiest/Fastest/Most Reliable way to move from one
dedicated server to another, both using Plesk7?

IS there a simple way, to get the control panel on one server to transfer ALL files and settings to the new server?

Can anyone point me at an answer?

Jim

if I interpret correct your question

Use the backup programm from plesk. it translates also the IP address.

Have read Backup/Restore

and this "looks" like it might allow me to move domains from one server to another.

Questions : (if anyone knows?)

can I say, backup a domain; save the backup file to my own office server; go to the new server, and try to Restore to that new server from the file on my office server? IE use my office server as an intermediary step in the process?

or will the backup a domain allow me to actually move that backup file to a new, remote server - ie the one where it will be restored? IE effectively cutting out the 'middle-server' step?

anyone have experience doing this? IE is this reliable?

Jim

can you explain IE ? ? ?

plesk must by running on your office server.
but I understand not quite for which that to be good should.
it is not meaningful to use a Plesk server for " intermediary step in the process"

which for project you want to make ? asp, php, or .net or what is your idea??

I think backup just gives you a file, use the file on any other plesk -should- work.

How can this be?

I went to my old server, and made a Plesk backup of a simple website on my current webhost, and saved it on my own desktop on my computer at the office.

I then went and logged in to my new server and attempted to get Plesk to use that same backup to restore the site. To do that I first created a simple domain using the same .com name, figuring that was needed.

The thing is, that each time I try to get new new server's Plesk to restore the domain, I get an error that says " The file C:\program files\swsoft\Plesk\Backup/client.com/clientbackup is not a valid Plesk domain backup file"

What the ??? I just made it using a fully updated Plesk on one server and tried to get the same fullly updated Plesk on another server to recognize and load the backup, ie restoring the domain? There seems to be nothing wrong with the file either, as on the old server, I can upload it and use it to restore the domain (on the server where this backup file was made) but not on the new server....

How do I get around this?

Jim

how do you take the backup? you are not taking the backup from the plesk control panel are you?

those backups are worthless in this regard, do not ask me why, they are made with the installations signature, and serve only as a backup for the user, to be able to restore it on the hosts server again.

but according to the things I've read, if you do it with the server utility it SHOULD work for you.

Uh -- Server Utility?`

how and where is that button in Plesk?

how do I use it and where do I find it?

this might work, yes?

Do you mean using TS, login to the server and then use the Plesk Backup utility that you find in the Start >Programs area?

Tried that. Chose one domian, and saved the backup as a something.psa.

But how do I then get it off the server and to my other server?

???

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, I mean exactly that, from the start menu is the only way.

You take the backup then put the file in one of your sites, they are under inetpub/vhosts. and download it from the web

Okay...

but does this method of using the backup/restore work for ALL items on a website?

ie I take it it does transfer all the pages, images etc. etc.

but will it also copy the existing email accounts for a domain and create them and set them up in MailEnable too? THIS is very important to know....

and, will it also copy and set up the Plesk permissions too, ie for various folders and files too?

lastly, how can you set this up to do this "automatically" so that I can backup all my domains from one HD to the other each nite?

think I'm at the end of the questions here guys...thanks so much for the expertise?

;)

Jim

the backup utility has a scheduler, so you can set it to do exactly that, and you can then write another script to transfer it maybe :)

I really don't know, but you could just try and then type your results here for everybody to know? we are just like you, users with the forum as only mean, unless you don't wanna pay plesk for support after the 30 days.

They have fixed a few issues wit the backup/restore in the new update. Hmm unfortunately the 7.5 is just an early beta right now, and 7.0.3 has got bugs.

Okay... but how do I upload?

thanks so far guys. I'm now trying to figure out how to transfer files as FTP isn't working due to my nameserver migration...

in the meantime, how do I get Plesk on the NEW server to upload that .psa file? in Backup, the file must be ON the server for the BROWSE function to work?

that is once I create same and d/l it to my office desktop, how can I get it "on" the NEW server to be able to use Plesk restore?

???

Jim

But....you dont' understand.

I can ftp to the server using the IP

But when I get there, there is NO skeleton of folders, no domains -- nada, nothing at all..

And when I tried to upload even a simple .txt file, my ftp program gives me a 550:Access denied

I can not move a file up to the new server, nor find the domains I've created on it either...

Help?

Jim

resolved.

reinstall by support of Plesk and all updates solved this one...

thanks tho...your help is always appreciated!

:)

Jim

Back