• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Email - can send but not recieve

I

Inner Child 77

I have spent the last 6 hours going through the forum trying different suggestions to try and get things working.

What has happened is that our ISP changed our IP addresses.

So we made the switch and at first things where going well and then I started getting reports of emails getting bounced. I then found out that our ISP never setup a reverse DNS for our MX record.

They did that and now the reverse DNS for our MS is wrong. Now it has gotten to the point whee nobody can recieve emails from their accounts.

Currently have 7.5.3 and there doesn't seem to be anything in the queue.

This just in it seems if I delete the email account and then create it that there is the ability to send via webmail and have it recieved but not through Outlook.

I would rather find a solution then have to do all the deleting and creating and asking people to reset passwords.

Please any help here.....my mind is cracking with this one....
I don't know what info you need to start but ask away....

LAter

IC

Originally posted by Inner Child 77
I have spent the last 6 hours going through the forum trying different suggestions to try and get things working.

What has happened is that our ISP changed our IP addresses.

This should not be a problem as long as the new IP is not blacklisted.

So we made the switch and at first things where going well and then I started getting reports of emails getting bounced. I then found out that our ISP never setup a reverse DNS for our MX record.

Do all emails from all other domains get bounced, or just from certain ones?

They did that and now the reverse DNS for our MS is wrong. Now it has gotten to the point whee nobody can recieve emails from their accounts.

You need to have them make the rDNS correction ASAP!

Currently have 7.5.3 and there doesn't seem to be anything in the queue.

This just in it seems if I delete the email account and then create it that there is the ability to send via webmail and have it recieved but not through Outlook.

This would indicate a problem within your server, not related to rDNS, again, are all emails blocked or just certain domains (such as hotmail or yahoo)?

I would rather find a solution then have to do all the deleting and creating and asking people to reset passwords.

Please any help here.....my mind is cracking with this one....
I don't know what info you need to start but ask away....

LAter

IC
Regarding the account you deleted/recreated, this could just be an authorization error, What is the specific Outlook error returned?

Also, what are the server OS and Plesk version? What upgrades/updates were done to the server in recent past?

I didn't want to 'assume', so: Did you submit IP address changes to your registrar for your nameservers?? (and propagation time...)

As far as the bouncing goes these are only rumors from other people in the office using MACs. I have tried a hundrad times to get some typle of reaction from the server as far as a bounce or anything.

Right now it doesn't seem like any emails are block just nothing that is hosted on the machine that has a email address on the server will go through Outlook.

Also on the webmail is very slow. On some domains it times out on login and on other the login is fine but the sending of emails takes a couple of minutes.

The OS is RHE3 and Plesk 7.5.3

The only update I have tried before this was php and it was fine.

Also do you have any thoughts why there is nothing in the queue?

I didn't want to 'assume', so: Did you submit IP address changes to your registrar for your nameservers?? (and propagation time...)

oops just about missed that one. Yeah I did and I called them today again. The guy on the phone went through a "dig" tutorial with me. The time has been more then 24hrs.

I am noticing that if I do a dns report on some of the domains they are pointing to the old IP......could there be a connection?

This would be propagation delay. Not all nameservers update at the same time, especially some notorious ISP caching nameservers... This could also be causing some of the other problems you are having, but also see the following notes:

dnsreports also uses caching nameservers, they have a warning about that.

Webmail slow: Connection problems? (could be related to DNS propagation)

Email sending slow: Did you do the mod to the smtp_psa file (-Rt0)?? If not, then you should.

Outlook: Is your server set to use full login names, or short?

Outlook: Is your server set to use SMTP auth, and if so, are the client's Outlook settings also set for SMTP auth?

Outlook: Again, if any clients can give you the specific error message and error number that could be useful.

Nothing in queue: there would only be messages in queue if there were a problem delivering to the mailboxes (inbound), or connecting/delivering to external mail servers (outbound).

Email sending slow: Did you do the mod to the smtp_psa file (-Rt0)?? If not, then you should.

Yes

Outlook: Is your server set to use full login names, or short?

Short

Outlook: Is your server set to use SMTP auth, and if so, are the client's Outlook settings also set for SMTP auth?

Not SMTP

Outlook: Again, if any clients can give you the specific error message and error number that could be useful.

I see what I can get.

So I guess for now I should wait untill the DNS resolves. I'll hit the hay and get a few hours rest. By then I might see some progress on some of the other domains who are still showing NS records that are failing on DNS reports. I know its not the greatest tool and am open to suggestions. Thanks for taking the time. You'll hear from me within 24 hrs.

IC

I guess something else that may help the cause is if I ping anything from and of the domains the correct IP is showing.

I am still learning about all this hosting and Linux so it could be nothing but I want to make sure you have the right information to help me.

IC

If you are pinging from the server itself, then that is fine. The server itself should always be able to ping domains it is hosting.

If you are pinging from your workstation, then that means that your ISP's DNS servers have updated themselves, also fine.

DNS propagation can be harrowing at times, sometimes it goes relatively smoothly, othertimes not.

Take a small amount of time and double check all the hosted domain's DNS entries to make sure none of the old IPs are still present. Never hurts to double check.

Also if you wish to email me with some of the problem domain names and what the IPs should be, I can run some dig's from several ISP's to see if they are coming up with proper IPs. Use the forum's email (not PM) feature.

I was going to email you one domain that is a real problem. Can't login to webmail or anything. But when I clicked on your profile and tried to email you it said that you had that feature turned off.

LAter

IC

Try it now, else just email me at 'jamesyeeoc at yahoo dot com', my normal mail server has many large IP blocks and countries blocked by iptables....

Testing from various nameservers on both West coast and East coast, it does appear to be a propagation delay. The ns2 changes seem to be propagating quite well, just not fully yet. The ns1 changes seem to not be propagating at all yet. You may want to resubmit the IP change for the ns1 server again.

(test results have been emailed back to you)

Can there be some type of work around while I wait using the ns2 record that is propigated?

As I posted earlier:
Take a small amount of time and double check all the hosted domain's DNS entries to make sure none of the old IPs are still present. Never hurts to double check.
Actually check ALL your DNS records for all domains

Back