1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Email filtering... Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by Daniel15, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Daniel15

Daniel15 Guest

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering whether it's possible to do email filtering on my Plesk server. By filtering, I mean automatically moving emails into certain directories depending on its sender or subject. For example, I have two folders inside the INBOX of my personal email account: "MySpace" and "forum". Is it possible to automatically sort messages from *@myspace.com into the "MySpace" folder, and messages from eg. forum-[at]-daniel15.com into the "forum" folder?

I'm using Plesk 8.2 on Debian Etch, and do not mind installing additional software to handle this (as long as it does not break Plesk).

2. Daniel15

Daniel15 Guest

So, this is not possible?
    Any ideas guys?

3. lpittman

lpittman Guest

4. garan

garan Guest

If you've got webmail then you'll already have Horde Ingo (Email Rule Filter Manager) installed. It is possible to get this to output a procmail file that you then tell qmail to use for that user via a .qmail file.

It is possible to get it running under Plesk but isn't straightforward (you will need advanced Linux sysadmin skills).

Here's a starter:

http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41825&highlight=ingo+procmail

5. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Golden Pleskian

Ive got maildrop rpms in my archive, then you modify the .qmail like so:

| true
    |/usr/bin/maildrop .mailfilter

and an example .mailfilter that moves messages with "*****SPAM*****" in the subject line to the SPAM folder:

if ( /^Subject:.*\*\*\*\*SPAM\*\*\*\*/ )
    {
    to ./Maildir/.Spam/
    }

6. thewolf

thewolf Regular Pleskian

57%
    Hi Scott,

Do you have more detailed info about the above setup?

In your opinion, is that the best/recommended way to achieve a quarantine folder for spam messages with Plesk?

Thanks.

7. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Golden Pleskian

Im not sure how much more detailed I can make that :p

Theres more than one way to do it, for example I know that qmail-scanner has some built in logic to do it automatically. The example above is using maildrop, which is a procmail-ish type filter for qmail.

8. thewolf

thewolf Regular Pleskian

57%
    Thanks for the reply.

I'll experiment with it.

I wonder why SWsoft doesn't include a spam quarantine feature by default in Plesk.

9. tsheppard

tsheppard Guest

This might be a good solution for me if someone could enlighten me further on the code inside the .mailfilter file.

If I wanted to pipe a certain To: address, to a specific php script for bounce processing, how would I set that up?

For instance, my application sends out messages via smtp with SwiftMailer with the return-path: members-username-bounce@mydomain.com so that bounces can be processed via the username in the return-path and a php script.

Anyone that can help me out with this would have my deep appreciation :)

Thanks

Tai