• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

email questions

D

danfoster

hello all, im new to this forum (and plesk) so please be nice!! we're considering using plesk for both our new windows and linux servers, i like the idea of similar functionality for users that have domains on both platforms. therefore we are planning to migrate across to plesk (any comments on pitfalls in general would be great by the way, as plesk's pre-sales support is useless!) i get the feeling that the windows version isnt overly tried-and-tested - is this the case?

anyway.....the main question i wanted to ask was regarding the windows version, i see that the user has to log in with their entire e-mail address as the username in pop, is there any way to get around this - the mailserver we currently use just has a username, so it will mean a lot of hassle getting people to change over.

also, on the mail server setup page in plesk, there is an option to authentication for smtp based on successful pop access, rather than logging in to smtp. but for some reason it's greyed out and i cant choose it! does anyone know why this is?

many thanks in advance for your help!

Dan

thanks for the reply, thats pretty much what id figured, we've always made our own panels up to now (both linux and windows) but it gets to be very hard work, and sometimes its nice to think that you can just install something and have it up and running. i've not liked sw-soft's support up to now i have to say...we've been looking at a panel called Helm, the company that make it is in the UK (like us!) so i like the fact that getting in touch with support should be easy.

that said, we do still want to use plesk for our linux platform (i think!) so it would have been nice to have had the same panel on both sides...

ah well you can never have it all!

Dan

I have had some minor issues with plesk but nothing terrible. All these comments about it being trash must be just your installation. I have used plesk without a single crash or service failing. I just have to take some time and customize things, but that is expected.

hi, thanks for your reply chris, i take the point on board, i wasnt here to trash plesk, i'm genuinely looking for opinions as we're in a bit of a quandary at the moment - i'll be honest, whilst plesk 6.5 might have its problems, so does every control panel, be that cost, user friendliness (is that a word?!) etc etc, i think the only way to get something perfect to our needs is to do it ourselves! if only i had the time!!

my main concern with plesk was that i dont mind there being problems if someone is going to fix them, or tell me (and my customers) how to get around them, but at present plesk's support doesnt seem to be very forthcoming - and as im not even a customer yet that doesnt wash, surely the idea should be that they go out to impress me so i buy their products!? thats how it usually works anyway!

anyway what i think it comes down to is that we run a mailserver on Merak Mail Server (Icewarp), which is very feature-rich...i want to cluster it and use it for mail for all our customers ,both linux and windows, and have the www boxes seperate, but there doesnt seem to be any way of getting email options out of the control panel for the user....(merak has its own panel) so we may be back to square one - i.e. writing something in-house....any ideas anyone?

Dan

Hi, Plesk had problems (so does all panels), but those were nicely fixed by Plesk support. All our users who migrated to Plesk are extremely happy with the user interface, so we are happy as well. This hosting platform now is as stable as Windows can be, provided that you install it on a clean server.

Back