• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Emails returned: AOL requires reverse DNS?

M

Mateo1041

Hello,

I've been noticing this lately with AOL. I get all emails to them back with the following error mentioned within:

http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421dnsnr.html

Is there a way around this? I haven't had trouble with any other servers. If I enable this, does it slow email down on my server?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

- Matt.

All you need is to add a PTR record for the IP of your mail server in your DNS. That is if you are in control of your reverse DNS settings. You may wish to contact your ISP and see if you or they need to set this.

Yes, I should be in control of my DNS. Would my mail server be the same as my regular shared IP address for my VPS? I do already have this PTR record entered by default in Plesk:

<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.

How would the new PTR record differ?

Thanks for your help.

- Matt.

Controlling the domain's DNS in Plesk is one thing. But rDNS for the IP address is another thing.

Generally your ISP or Host would be in control of the rDNS entries for the IP addresses, since Plesk itself has no built in facilities for creating or maintaining DNS zone files for the xx.yy.zz.aa.in-addr.arpa files

Having a domain PTR record is one thing, and is not an absolute requirement for sending email successfully to such as AOL and others.

Use http://www.dnsreport.com and run a report on the domain and see what fails on the test.

ShadowMan is right, unless you have a full Class C block of IP's, you don't have control of your rDNS. Even if you do you may need your ISP to turn control over to you. I had such an issue and now control my own.

However, Plesk can and does create and maintain a xx.yy.zz.aa.in-addr.arpa file., it can be found in /var/named/runroot/var xx.yy.zz.aa.in-addr.arpa.

Thanks so much for the help guys. I'll contact my host and see what they can do.

Do you mean host or ISP? My host is a third party and my ISP is the local Earthlink Cable connection at my house. :)

It looks like this should now be fixed. My host sent me this reply:

Reverse DNS was not setup for this IP address. I have just set xx.xx.xx.xx to reverse to webmail.domain.com. This should resolve your Reverse DNS difficulties. Thank you and have a great day.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Glad to help, just remember it may take a little while for the change to propagate. You can check the entry at dnsstuff.com. Just put the IP address into the field in the second box in the center column.

Back