• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

emails

trini18

Basic Pleskian
Is there anyway that when someone tries to access their email it download to there local drive instead of saving it on the server...I know alot of isp's do this....for example when I view the emails online it stays on the server....but when I open my email like outlook it would pull it from the server.....and you go back to the webmail and its not there...

Is there an option like this in plesk that I can force this server wide so no emails stay on my server?

thanks

No you can't because it's a client side issue. You can't force your customers to download their e-mail. They control this setting in Outlook Express or whatever e-mail program they are using. You can however set your Plesk limits for how much e-mail they can store on the Plesk server and this will indirectly stop them from hogging space on the server. This setting is called "mailbox quota". They will get warning when they exceed this quota.

So, you want to have your users download the email with their email client on their local machines like (outlook express etc) right and after they download it it should still stay on the server? Is this correct? if yes then you of course know what IMAP4 is right?

Henryk

There are two ways that can have your e-mail stay on the server.

1. If you use POP3, tick the box that says: "Leave a copy of message on server".

2. Use IMAP.

But this is not what "trini18" wants to do. They want the opposite. Read the post.

Originally posted by henry
So, you want to have your users download the email with their email client on their local machines like (outlook express etc) right and after they download it it should still stay on the server? Is this correct? if yes then you of course know what IMAP4 is right?

Henryk

once then login to their email client I want it to download to there local machine and not saved on my server to free disk space

o, ok, you mean you want to prevent the user even if they check the box "leave message on server" to do it? What email server are you using?

Back