• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

enable gd

phoenixisp

Silver Pleskian
I have a CentOS 4.1 box with Plesk 7.5.4 and am trying to install a picture gallery. The problem is that I need gd2 enabled in php and have no idea how to do it. I installed gd-devel using yum, but from what I have been reading I may need to rebuild php. That scares me as I don't want to break Plesk. I currently have php 4.3.9.

Can anyone help me with this one?

Have a look at your phpinfo.php in a browser, look for the 'gd' section:

gd
GD Support enabled
GD Version bundled (2.0.28 compatible)
FreeType Support enabled
FreeType Linkage with freetype
GIF Read Support enabled
GIF Create Support enabled
JPG Support enabled
PNG Support enabled
WBMP Support enabled
XBM Support enabled

If it shows 'enabled' then you're good to go already. Otherwise you could try using one of the following to update your php rpm package (should be no need to recompile yourself) version:

yum update php
apt-get update php
up2date php

I would recommend seeing if ART (AtomicRocketTurtle) has a CentOS 4.1 yum channel (I am not sure off top of my head)

Hey James, thanks for the reply.

I don't show gd as being enabled. So I did the yum update php and the php.ini file is the same as it was, makes no reference to gd or gd2 (preferred). Niether does it show on the info.php page. I read that to enable gd you have to rebuild with --with-gd[=DIR].

Tell me there's an easier way - please!! :(

The easier way is to locate the updated RPM file for your particular OS. Keep in mind that CentOS 4 should be essentially the same as ES4. You would only have to do the rebuild yourself if you cannot locate the RPM which someone else has already rebuilt :)

You don't *have* to get it from ART's site, but at least his packages have Plesk in mind when they are built.

Interesting, I just checked ART's repo and he does have a CentOS directory, but it looks to be linked to his FC2 directory. And his 4ES directory is forbidden. I guess he's still working on getting those ready.

I do see that he has the ES3 build of php-4.3.11-8 which should be CentOS 3.x compatible. (If you wanted to downgrade your OS) Otherwise you may have to wait until he releases the packages for CentOS4

This is one reason I have not changed to CentOS 4 yet (everyone is still playing catch up)

Looks like the CentOS 4.1 mirror has 'php-gd-4.3.9-3.7.i386.rpm' and 'php-gd-4.3.9-3.8.i386.rpm' available, have you tried installing one of those?

Back