1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Exclusive / Shared IP

Discussion in 'Plesk 9.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by Hans Hans, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Hans Hans

Hans Hans Guest

Hi!

what exactly is the difference between chossing the (one and only) IP-Adress as "exclusive" one or "shared" one?

What does this choice affect?

Regards,
    Hans

2. IgorG

IgorG Forums Analyst Staff Member

24%
    IP address (not shared among other sites), or, in terms of Parallels Plesk Panel, exclusive IP address to be able to install an authentic digital SSL certificate for securing customers' communications to their site. This IP can be used by only one site.
    You can assign a lot of sites to shared type of IP.

3. Hans Hans

Hans Hans Guest

Okay thank you!

That means as long as I have no SSL certificate in use it doesn't matter what type of IP-Adress I choose?

Because as I have find out, even a "exclusive" IP can be used for several domains created in Plesk.

Regards
    Hans

4. IgorG

IgorG Forums Analyst Staff Member

24%
    A exclusive IP address can be assigned to a single customer, while a shared IP address can be shared among several user accounts. Note that SSL protection with authentic digital certificates and Anonymous FTP services are available only to dedicated hosting accounts on a exclusive IP address. Shared hosting accounts can also have SSL protection, but visitors to such protected sites will get error messages in their browsers.