• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Extracting compressed archives??

G

gamesmad

Is it possible to upload a compressed archive (zip, tar.gz), and then extract it on the server thorugh Plesk?? I know there is a feature like this on cPanel and Im hoping its possible in Plesk.

Thanks,

Will

Well you can enable shell access and then use the java SSH terminal through the Plesk CP, then run tar or gzip and tar.

J

Theres no easier way than that?! What will my customers do...

Will

Why should I do that. cPanel offers support of extracting archives on the server, so why doesnt Plesk.

Will

I'd say uncompressing it yourself (usually a matter of double-clicking) and then uploading it is both easier and faster than uploading a compressed archive through a web interface, but of course YMMV.

Compressed files are smaller than uncompressed files, so its faster. Also, when you upload individual files, time is spent changing to the next file.

Will

I meant it's faster because web interfaces are usually relatively slow. But yeah, if you're uploading a lot of files it might be handy. You could maybe send the SWsoft guys a feature request.

Ill probably do that, I know Im not the only one who would find this really usefull!

Will

A full year has gone by, and still the Plesk guys have been unable to deliver an uncompress option that we have had in cPanel for years.

Enough said. I am disappointed.

I have never heard a customer asking for this feature. I also don't know of any customer that would want to upload their files via Plesk's web interface when you can just use FTP.

This can be easily done in the Plesk Windows version. The add file dialog has a checkbox to uncompress after upload.

Why can't this be done in the Linux version? Isn't Linux supposed to be infintely more powerful, more robust and all around better than windows?

Seems pretty weak to me.

Boo Linux. It also took me about 3 hours longer to install the Linux version over the Windows version.

Boo Linux. Well in my case Boo FreeBSD.

The fact that this feature seems to be unavailable doesn't really have anything to do with Linux of FreeBSD. Linux and FreeBSD are perfectly capable of uncompressing archives. Apparently SWsoft just hasn't added this feature to the Linux and FreeBSD versions of Plesk. Why? I have no idea. Ask SWsoft.

Maybe I should have said Boo Linux Plesk? You're right, it isn't the fault of the OS.

Asking SwSoft is like asking a brick wall.

I know its an old thread, but it seems still not possible?? I have access to a customers Plesk account and there is no Extract option. They do not have access to SSH.

I understand you can upload files via FTP, which I will have to do, but I have thousands of files to upload and it will take quite a while compared to a few minutes of a .zip and extract. Many systems these days like Wordpress, Joomla etc. will have thousands of files, so an extract option like CPanel would be good.

Back