• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FC6 support

Silver Pleskian
Hi,
What's the deal with FC6? I want to buy plesk 8.1, but no way without FC6 support.
As the release of FC7 is only months away, FC5 will become unsupported by fedora, and since legacy has closed means your up the creek.
What is swsofts policy now, they need to up the timetable to keep current with fedora, or do - buy cpanel?

I too am concerned about Fedora legacy, thinking of a switch to Ubuntu but Plesk support appears to be a little slow.

Any tentative dates set for 8.2?

What is bothering me, okay legacy is closed, sad but true. But now companies like swsoft and 99% of hosting companies need to get their act together and start supporting current builds of Fedora.

There is no slackness anymore letting legacy fill in the gaps.

Personally I don't see the issue. Okay pre plesk 8.1 it did not support SQL5, okay but now we got sql 5 in 8.1, there is no reason they can't even support FC7 just wrote the damn installer package to use the current libraries in the OS.

Hosting companies no better still 95% offer FC4 and its damn well unsupported!

Sad....

As I know FC6 will be supported in incoming 8.1.1 patch (it should be released on one of these days). As for FC7 is not released yet and will be available in about 2 months it is hard to say when it will be supported.
As for supporting new OSes in general. This is not only compiling build procedure but also testing stage which takes a lot of time.
I think it is also good practice to wait some time after new version of OS released until blocker issues will be fixed (if they exists of course).

Install to Fedora Core 6

Where it is possible download installer for Fedora Core 6?

I too eagerly await the release. Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by nulleffect
FC6 is .. unrecommended :p

Well that is very scary considering in now less than 2 months FC7 will be released and FC5 will officially go unsupported!

Fedora now only support the previous release as fedoralegacy is closed.

FC4 is unsupported since the close of fedoralegacy, and FC5 time is running out fast!

If you don't like upgrading your OS every six months go with something like RHEL/CentOS. Seriously.

Hi Breun,

Actually that is one thing I like, as the new versions always have a great improvement.

Obviously with fedoralegacy closed the software writers and webhosts just need to get their acts together and start supporting current versions.

Cheers!

PHP5, Mysql5, Apache 2.2, RubyOnRails, by default, without modifying the OS so far beyond its original state.

I think they just didn't update that page yet. The Plesk 8.1.1 release notes state support for Fedora Core 6.

Splendid, though I thought I saw it updated previously..

Can an SwSoft rep confirm? Dmitry?

Back