• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Features for the next versions

J

jaytee

Hi guys,

while we just released Plesk 7 for Windows, we have begun to work on the next versions already. Please post to this thread your suggestions for the new features that you would like to see in Plesk for Windows. JFYI, two top requested features right now are Domain Aliasing and MS DNS server support.

It's almost perfect. Almost. :)

The only thing I can identify that I'd want right now is a fix to allow you to set a blank catch-all address for postboxes within MailEnable.

Forcing a domain to use a catch-all just encourages spammer to run blanket address farming scripts against the domain. Since the addresses are accepted they're identified as good and the problem multiplies exponentially.

Have you tried setting in domain -> Mail -> Preferences
"Mail to nonexistent user" to Bounce instead of "Catch-all"? This is the default option now.

Expire both domains and subdomains independede of each other. We give all our students subdomains under the same domain ex. subdomain.students.school.com, but in the current version there's no way that I can expire the subdomains.

Mertz - As jaytee says, if you have migrated from a 6.5 server then it would still retain the catchall settings. Just set it to the bounce option.

sebastian - I dont see much use for this? A subdomain belongs under a domain and so when a domain is enabled/disabled the subdomain should have the same state.

We give subdomains to students, and students come and go, but the top domain stays, that's the reason for wanting this feature.

I would setup every subddomain to expire after 6 months, and then delete them after 8 months.

I would need to setup around 10.000 subdomains a year. ;)

Originally posted by PaulC
sebastian - I dont see much use for this? A subdomain belongs under a domain and so when a domain is enabled/disabled the subdomain should have the same state.

It would be nice if I can use the Application Vault to install also Sharepoint Team Services sites. What do you think?..Could be possible?

1. The skins that are on Plesk 7 Reloaded for linux to be put on Plesk 7 for windows

2. Automated updating of PHP, MySQL, etc. the way cpanel has it on linux

3. More support for other Mail Servers. (Merak, etc.)

4. Hotlink Protection denying and allowing access to other sites linking to your files.

5. Database systems set up so that a prefix is required for a database... for example if my website was somesite.com, the prefix for all mysql databases created for that account would be somesite_databasename

~Garrett

Just to clarify - most, if not all Plesk 7 Reloaded features will be available in the next Windows version, we know that you would want them :)

Thats great news! The team has done really well, the second release of the Windows version has almost as many features as the *nix version which has taken 3 years to get to where it is.

I, as well as everybody else will be looking forward to the next version :D

Just a general note, more than anything else I am estatically happy to see an active person from Plesk in the forums to help users with problems! Kudos!

Originally posted by sebastian
We give subdomains to students, and students come and go, but the top domain stays, that's the reason for wanting this feature.

I would setup every subddomain to expire after 6 months, and then delete them after 8 months.

I would need to setup around 10.000 subdomains a year. ;)

I'm about to start offering that very same thing to educational institiutions near my area and I share the very same need. This is absolutly correct.
I was told previously that a subdomain is treated as a regular account in calculating the number of domains for the licenses.
That by itself would indicate that each subdomain is independently owned and ran.

In any event,. since I'm about to make the very same offering locally .. whereas each student should have an expiration date, it would certainly make sense to separate them with a separate expiration date.

-Alon.

MattR - I agree, great work JT :D

SupermanInNY - It should be possible to setup a subdomain as a normal domain name with a validity period, thats how it has been done in previous versions.

Greetings,

Somethings that should definitely be added or considered being added to Plesk for Windows:

1. The ability to add SPF records to the DNS. For those who dont now what an SPF is, you can read about it here: http://spf.pobox.com/ :) It is another way to prevent spammers from getting thru your mail servers. Also, create a SPF record script so our subscribers can create SPF records before adding them to there DNS records. -- A DEFINITE MUST!

2. Zend Optimizer - include it with the Plesk installer so we can just install it with a new license on new servers that we deploy.

3. Like mentioned before, auto updates of php, perl, python, mysql etc etc to the latest stable versions.

4. The ability to integrate Window Media Services into each subscribers control panel so this option can be easily be made to them. -- would be a BIG PLUS! Also possibly Helix server [RealMedia10] as well?

5. SSL FTP server -- A MUST! Perhaps try to bundle g6 with it? http://www.g6ftpserver.com/ Which I think is one of the best ftp servers out there. [my opinion of course] :) And you would think with all that Microsoft has done in making Windows the way it is, they could at least make MSFTP have the ability to use SSL. :rolleyes:

6. Include phpmyadmin root access from the admin control panel; and the ability to see what mysql process are currently running via the control panel [always a nice thing to be able to catch mysql abusers] :)

7. Maybe a choice of which email client to offer to our subscribers [horde, squirrel mail, neo mail]. Not a big consideration, just a thought. Ok that was just way too cPanel-ish :eek:

8. I might be wrong on this, but I noticed email logins are not thru HTTPS but rather HTTP, making it unsecure. Possible to change this?

9. I might also be wrong on this, but does Plesk have the ability to allow us to connect to the mail servers securely via SSL when we use a mail client such as outlook express? If not, would be nice to implement. :)

10. The ability to modify the DNS templates via the control panel itself. Also the ability to modify the default SOA records via the control panel.

11. I noticed IIS6 has webdav capability. Possible to implement that as well?

Well this is my list. Some things may be implemented already and I have just missed them, as I am new to Plesk. However, I am extremely impressed with the way it functions and operates on my first windows server. And If I think of anything else, I will let you know :p

bwmatrix - Some feedback on your ideas!

2. Zend Optimizer - include it with the Plesk installer so we can just install it with a new license on new servers that we deploy.

Not everybody would want this, but it could be an option in the setup software. However, zend may not allow it to be distributed like this.

5. SSL FTP server -- A MUST! Perhaps try to bundle g6 with it?

I have used G6 before, but it isnt free. An option to support it would be good for people who need it. For most people the MS FTP server is free and does the job.

7. Maybe a choice of which email client to offer to our subscribers [horde, squirrel mail, neo mail]. Not a big consideration, just a thought. Ok that was just way too cPanel-ish :eek:

Is very cpanel-ish! I would rather see one webmail client, its alot easier to support. But, the options to install during the setup could be there for people who want it.

9. I might also be wrong on this, but does Plesk have the ability to allow us to connect to the mail servers securely via SSL when we use a mail client such as outlook express?

As Plesk 7 uses MailEnable, it needs to be supported by that. But I cant see it on the list of features www.mailenable.com

Greetings Paul,

2. Zend: Was just an idea to possibly bundle it with the installer as one of the option you could install [like Perl and Php and Python], just something to make it easier for Admins. However, I do not know Zends policies on bundling software.

Perhaps to even take this a step further, give us a choice in the installer [or even if the PSA is already active already on a server] to choose which type of PHP to use. Since Plesk uses the cgi version of PHP it could also use the regular version I presume? And if it can indeed use the regular version of PHP, throw in (at least) support for Zends WinEnabler as well.

5. SSL FTP: Coming from the world of Linux, security was always a #1 priority for me. Which included SSL or SSH on everything where possible, and this included FTP. Sending clear text username/passwords over the net is a good way for you to get yourself hacked if someone happens to sniff out the packets. I am sure you already know that :p

It would just be my personal preference to have at least support for a SSL FTP server, whether it be g6 or something similar. :)

7. Email Client: Yep was way too cPanel-ish but that is what ya get when you have worked with cPanel for so long. lmao Mail Enable does have a web interface, and I am sure it is easily enough upgraded to the professional version. So I agree with you on that, that 1 web interface would be better.

Anyways, the overall point being, I have found Plesk to be a truly great product. I think it blows cPanel away. And within the 2 days I have been using it so far, I have not had any major issues with it aside from Bind going nuts and eating cpu up, kind of like it is stuck in a loop until I restart it. (which support will be looking into for me). But this is not a production box yet :)

I think even bundling something like MRTG with Plesk would be a great idea - (but correct me if I am now being to Linux-ish now :))

Back