• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Fedora Core 7 Install

laughingbuddha

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

I have used Plesk before on a VPS, but this is the first time that I have put it on my own server.

I have bought a Dell 3250 64Bit server, and I'm looking at getting an OS on it. I'm currently looking at using Fedora Core but I normaly don't use Linux/Unix OSes.

I have used Redhat a few years back just to have a change from Windows, and it's always good to learn new things. But this is the first time for 5 years, and I have never installed Plesk before.

I'm looking at getting down Fedora Core 7 (latest) from the fedoraproject.org website. Is this a good choice.

I'm a newbie to Linux and Plesk installs.

Many thanks

Matt Auckland

I would recommend staying away from Plesk/Fedora setups. Fedora is more of a testing platform.

I would install CentOS5 if you want the stable "latest and greatest"..

Isn't Fedora stable then. I have seen it used by a few companies, mainly Fedora Core 5.

Is CentOS5 similar and is it 64bit as the Intel Titanium2 cpus in my server are.

CentOS5(RHEL5) is production ready. Yes there is a 32 and 64 bit centos4, and 5...

Is there anything special I need to do on the CentOS5 install, or is it a straight install and the Plesk install handles the rest?

Matt

Nothing special, install the OS with mysql and php then run the plesk installer or use the rpm method. Plesk does not handle php or mysql as far as updates and such.. this will need to be done with YUM...

Does Plesk have an intergrated Firewall?

I have only used Plesk 7.5 in a WebFusion VPS enviroment, so I didn't get control over the server side of it.

As the server is going to be located in a server house, do I install the OS in my office, then install Plesk when it's at the server house, or can I install Plesk and the OS here at the office then send the server to the server house. Reason I ask is that I don't know the IP addresses I will be issued with yet for the server.

Also does CentOS have a remote desktop function or remote login if I have to reboot or do maintance from the office. I normaly use something like VNC for remote managing servers for my clients, but never done this on a Linux/Unix platform.

Oh cheers for your help, your a star!

Matt

Back