• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Firewalls

H

Hans Hans

Hi!

as it seems, there are two different Firewalls available: One configurable via Virtuoozo and one via Plesk.

In Plesk I can for example allow/deny access via FTP, WWW or SSH which does properly work.

But where have the rules defined in Virtuoozo effect on (I could'n find it out yet)? And how do they play together with them defined in Plesk?

Reagards
H.

The firewall option for a container in Virtuozzo is mainly of interest to people without Plesk. It uses iptables to built a firewall accoring to the rules you define via the GUI.

Plesk's firewall also just builds a set of rules for you using iptables. You would not normally use it at the same time as the VZ container firewall any more than you would use the Plesk firewall along with, say APF or CSF or any other firewall running in the container itself.

Faris.

Hi,
The firewall in Plesk and in VZ panel for container are really just frontends for iptables running in container. So there is not much "playing together" here -- they both basically manage the same thing.

Hey,

thank you for your answers! I just have two further inqueries:

So one can say that it is just okay, set up the rules of the Firewall ONLY via Plesk's Firewall since both (Plesk & Virtuoozo) do finally the same thing (creating iptables)? Therefor it is right that I can delete all the rules defined in Virtuoozo as long as I set them up via Plesk?

Is it secure just running the Plesk-Firewall or is it adviseable to install a further one (like http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html or so)?

Regards
H.

Number 1: Yes
Number 2: CFS (or APF) are much much more advanced than the plesk or VZ firewalls. But you don't get a GUI - you have to edit configs by hand.

Back