1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Forwarding and redirect

Discussion in 'Plesk for Windows - 8.x and Older' started by texken, Feb 28, 2006.

1. texken

texken Guest

For various reasons related to search engine optimization, websites that have multiple urls should apparently have "secondary" urls redirect to the primary url via a 301 permanent redirect rather than simply using the domain alias functionality that Plesk provides.

In performing an experiment I set up a new domain and used the "Standard Forwarding" method and pointed it at my primary url. After allowing for propagation, I ran a server header check on the new secondary url and it returned back a code of 302 rather than 301 (which upon further study is not good for a variety of reasons).

My question is: is there a way within plesk to set 301 redirects or do I need to bypass Plesk and set these up directly in IIS. Or is there a good reason not to do this either. Thanks for any feedback.

2. Traged1

Traged1 Guest

Can anyone shed light on this isse we have several customer asking of this exact feature?

3. Jllynch

Jllynch Regular Pleskian

4. Jllynch

Jllynch Regular Pleskian

You might want to try this in a .htaccess file;

This example is where you wish to direct all non-www traffic to www:

Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yoursite.com [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yoursite.com/$1 [L,R=301]

www.netvantage.com.au