• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FrontPage Support Outrage !!

K

knocx

Plesk supposed to be a software for "Hosting" Providers, however read this;

" FrontPage Server Extensions are no longer shipped with Plesk. Therefore, after upgrading to Plesk 8.1, you will need to obtain and install FrontPage Server Extensions separately."

this is nothing but ****! we have 1500+ clients that sums to at least 50.000USD/year using FP extentions and sw-soft wants us to abandon them and throw away 50.000USD! is that possible? HELL NO!

We have 16 PLESK servers and since we can upgrade to new versions we are planning to switch to an equavalent CP like directadmin ...etc, if the issue is not resolved in 1-2 Months!

I do invite all collagues to sign this thread to show their emberrasments about FP support!

knocx

HEllo,

If you upgraded to plesk 8.1 then the feature should work.
I upgraded servers to 8.1 and fp worked on them and it was available.

does fp works after you remove the domain and add again? i dont think so

yep i know,

but this is not changing the truth that people are still using and will be using FP for next few years , why did plesk discontinued FP package distribution?

this is the main question ...

I really got screwed by SWsoft becasue of this! I migrated to a new server not knowing that it was unable to have FP installed! So now I am extreamly heated and lost alot of clients already. Not sure if there is legal action we can take but there should be.

You could have read the release notes for Plesk 8.1.0. It's not like they kept it a secret.

This is a shame... how can we tell our customers that from now no more FrontPage extensions support!? I have just mailed SWSoft to manifest my displeasure with that... please do it as well and maybe they reconsider if many people write to them...

Horible. SWsoft is goingg to los alot of money and respect over this one. I have allready talked to 3 providers that are no longer offering plesk as a option.

People, Microsoft discontinued FrontPage last year. Better yell at them. I don't think you can expect SWsoft to keep supporting a discontinued product that is not theirs.

as i told before we all know Microsoft discontinued FrontPage, but this does not make present FP users, office users vanish, ...etc

the problem is the package is already present with plesk , why not distribute? what we need is a soft depreciation, cutting it off suddenly will cause lots of complaints.

Originally posted by nars
This is a shame... how can we tell our customers that from now no more FrontPage extensions support!? I have just mailed SWSoft to manifest my displeasure with that... please do it as well and maybe they reconsider if many people write to them...

Sorry but FP was **** software from the 1st day on. I am very happy that this episode is over now.

Originally posted by Herby
Sorry but FP was **** software from the 1st day on. I am very happy that this episode is over now.

I completely agree with that personally, but the problem is our customers...

btw, I have got this reply from SWSoft:

This is not an issue if you are already using FP extensions on a Linux/UNIX server… However, By Law we are not allowed to redistribute FP extensions after June 30th, 2006… However, if they are on an existing system then we won’t remove them if we update our software. http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/#dist

Originally posted by Herby

You are glad its over but are the millions of FP users glad?

First SWSoft adds spam into there allready overpriced software then they do this.

Time to go to Cpanel. SWSoft you really need to rethink some of your desitions or your companie is going to go under.

Everyone that posted here is a bunch of fools if you can't do a little bit of leg work to understand why.

The only *nix frontpage extensions were not produced by SW-Soft.

Anyone distributing them is doing so illegally anyways.

"May I distribute the FPSE kit(s) that I have previously downloaded?
No."

http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/

Originally posted by tyson1980
You are glad its over but are the millions of FP users glad?

First SWSoft adds spam into there allready overpriced software then they do this.

Time to go to Cpanel. SWSoft you really need to rethink some of your desitions or your companie is going to go under.

You do realize cPanel is getting rid of them also right?

Due to the fact they can no longer distribute them and the fact they are becoming a security risk now (no updates).

It looks like it is a microsoft issue, still sucks, I don't see how Microsoft can do this. I think there trying to force people onto windows platforms becasue plesk for windows still supports frontpage I have been told.

Originally posted by tyson1980
It looks like it is a microsoft issue, still sucks, I don't see how Microsoft can do this. I think there trying to force people onto windows platforms becasue plesk for windows still supports frontpage I have been told.

Microsoft can do it because "THEY OWN THE FRONTPAGE ARCHITECTURE"

Just like SW-Soft could say tomorrow that they don't support Windows.

Besides, Frontpage 2003 Extensions were the final version.

Microsoft is moving to Sharepoint and there isn't a viable Linux Version of that.

You can't expect Microsoft to continue pushing everything it has over to *nix, that's bad business for there server market.

The original reason for doing so with FrontPage was to make sure people continued to use it while they made a presence.

They no longer have that need.

Yes, I would have liked to have seen them keep *nix support, but lets get realistic.

Originally posted by siren
Microsoft can do it because "THEY OWN THE FRONTPAGE ARCHITECTURE"

Just like SW-Soft could say tomorrow that they don't support Windows.

Besides, Frontpage 2003 Extensions were the final version.

Microsoft is moving to Sharepoint and there isn't a viable Linux Version of that.

You can't expect Microsoft to continue pushing everything it has over to *nix, that's bad business for there server market.

The original reason for doing so with FrontPage was to make sure people continued to use it while they made a presence.

They no longer have that need.

Yes, I would have liked to have seen them keep *nix support, but lets get realistic.

Its like selling you a car that takes special gas, then stopping the sell of that gas a couple years later.

We recently purchased a new server and did a clean install with CentOS 4.4 and Plesk 8.1 then we did a plesk back up on our old server which had Fedora Core 1 and Plesk 8.0.1.

The backup and restore was successful but we were puzzle when customers started telling us thier frontpage doesn't work anymore and found out that it no longer avaiable on the Plesk 8.1.

We have a large customer base that uses frontpage so I went and download the Plesk 8.0 for CentOS and extracted a package named frontpage-5.0-72psa.centos4.2.i586.rpm and install it like any other rpm on the new server and the setting for frontpage came back in each domain setup but disabled.

Then we had to enable it and disable it again wiping the old server's frontpage setting/path/htaccess and re-enable it forcing it to create a new one based on our new server tree.

So far it works without any problems and our customers are happy again.

Bill

Back