• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP fails after LIST

S

sunmacet

For some reason unknown to me one of my Plesk 8.1.0 servers won't do FTP very well anymore.

FTP will accept connections and will login without problems but when login is complete and LIST comes next it fails to serve client. Following messages is shown on FileZilla:
---
Command: LIST
Error: Transfer channel can't be opened. Reason: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing
---

/var/log/messages:
---
Mar 6 01:07:10 xxx proftpd[21650]: xxx.xxx (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) - FTP session opened.
Mar 6 01:07:10 xxx proftpd(pam_unix)[21650]: session opened for user xxx by (uid=0)
---

Other server with exact configuration works with same FTP-client thought.

What other logs should I check?

Any ideas?

Restarted the server but still same problem.

I am almost certain that this started after I updated Plesk with the most recent minor updates. My other Plesk server was unaffected thought.

It is also reported that some versions of FileZilla seems to work and so do WS_FTP in most cases.

Help, please. Thanks.

It's probably not this, but it looks like an FTP-data connection not being able to be established... And as far as I know, it depends of the configuration of your firewall on your server:
- try a passiv connection
- check in your firewall rules if both port 20/21 are opened
- check in your firewall rules if ip_conntrack is activated (in case of iptable), more information here, under "Connection tracking and ftp": IPTables - Connection tracking

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your answer.

It was firewall issue. It seems that I have denied all other but allowed incoming traffic.

It seems that the FTP-server in firewall rules (in Plesk modules) don't cover the FTP data connections.

I personnaly don't use PSA Firewall module. I prefer to use my own IPTable rules.

Good to know you found a solution to your problem!

Back