• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP Problems

W

whryzak

I have local a Windows PC and a Unix PC with Suse 10 and Plesk 8 1-user and on the Web a Suse 10 with 30 userPlesk8.
FTP between local PC and also between Windows and Web Suse works, but not from local Linux to remote Linux:

Local Windows (LEAPFTP) to local Suse : OK
Local Suse (IglooFTP) to Windows : OK
Local Suse (IglooFTP) to another local Suse: OK

Local Windows (LEAPFTP) to Web Suse: OK
Local Suse (with all programs) to Web Suse: Errors:

Connection works, and Password is accepted, but directory of remote Unix is not shown, and following errors come:
Entering passive Mode
Timeout (socket connect)
Unable to connect socket
Unable to connect to data socket
Unable to bind data socket
Unable to get host reply
List command failed

When I disable the firewall on local unix its the same

Some suggestions ?

have you tried in non-passive mode? disable passive mode in your FTP client and try again.

Indeed had the same problem (disable passive, which in most clients now-a-days is enabled by default (why-o-why?!)).

The problem is probably with the stateful firewall. It knows a standard FTP connection, and knows to open port 20 for data transfer. This isn't the case when you use passive mode. Atleast, I think that's the problem. Haven't opened port 20 in the firewall and it works fine when using normal mode (no-passive).

In order to answer this (was looking back on my own postings) all we had to do was load the FTP iptables helper (usually modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp). Probably would like that setup in the firewall script of your distribution.

Back