• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP Time Outs

H

HekkeySE

I''ve searched the forum but couldn't find a answer for our problem.

We did a new install of Plesk and everything worked perfectly except the FTP. When a client connects with SmartFTP, CuteFTP or even Internet Explorer, the FTP server comes with a time out problem. Only WS_FTP works perfectly.

Does anybody know a solution to this problem?

Strange. Can you localize any specific config differences between the ftp client software (active vs passive, auth method, etc)??

Newer versions of IE (like with WinXP SP2) do act strange in any case. Don't get me started on an MS rant...

I've used Cute and WS on many Plesk (6.0 to 7.5.3, soon to test 7.5.4) and non-Plesk servers, the only time I ever had problems was related to the ftp client configs.

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
Strange. Can you localize any specific config differences between the ftp client software (active vs passive, auth method, etc)??

Newer versions of IE (like with WinXP SP2) do act strange in any case. Don't get me started on an MS rant...

I've used Cute and WS on many Plesk (6.0 to 7.5.3, soon to test 7.5.4) and non-Plesk servers, the only time I ever had problems was related to the ftp client configs.

No. The client settings are always standard. But other hosts will do it perfectly with the FTP client(s) except this server.

FTP Log:

Resolving host name "83.149.*.*"
Connecting to 83.149.*.* Port: 21
Connected to 83.149.*.*.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.10 Server (ProFTPD) [83.149.*.*]
USER *
331 Password required for *.
PASS (hidden)
230 User * logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Features:
MDTM
REST STREAM
SIZE
211 End
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
TYPE I
200 Type set to I
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (83.149.*.*,144,147).
Opening data connection to 83.149.*.*Port: 37011
LIST -aL
Timeout (20s).
Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/45
Client closed the connection.

Check your /etc/proftpd.conf file and see if you have the following settings:

1. Before the <Global> section:
UseReverseDNS off

2. In the <Global> section:
IdentLookups off

3. What values to you have for the following:
TimeoutLogin
TimeoutIdle
TimeoutNoTransfer
TimeoutStalled

I have the exact same problem as the original poster.

Here is my attempt to login:

SmartFTP v1.5.990.4
Resolving host name "www.hostname.com"
Connecting to 216.69.1.1 Port: 21
Connected to www.hostname.com.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.10 Server (ProFTPD) [216.69.1.1]
USER spduser
331 Password required for spduser.
PASS (hidden)
230 User spduser logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Features:
MDTM
REST STREAM
SIZE
211 End
PWD
CWD /
250 CWD command successful
PWD
TYPE I
200 Type set to I
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (216,69,1,1,128,22).
Opening data connection to 216.69.1.1 Port: 32790
LIST -aL
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond...
Timeout (30s).
Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/74
Client closed the connection.
Automatic failover of data connection mode from "Passive Mode (PASV)" to "Active Mode (PORT)".

The problem is not new, when the server was installed a couple of weeks ago (my first Plesk machine) it has happened.

If I use the FTP DOS program in Windows it works fine, but if I use smartftp it times out.

I added UseReverseDNS off before the global section (it already exists after, futher down in the file).

I added IdentLookups off in the global section.

The config file contains no values for any of these:

TimeoutLogin
TimeoutIdle
TimeoutNoTransfer
TimeoutStalled

The ftp server does not totally timeout when using web publishing software (that uses FTP), it does have a 20 second delay every time it make a connection.

Really annoying.

I do have the exact same problem as the previous poster, including the 20 sec problem.

I can connect fine with smartFTP, but one of my clients always gets a timeout, regardless of the FTP program he's using, and from where he connects (several places).

I would be very glad if this problem could be solved.

I had the same problem and fixed this by setting up an Passive Port in the proftpd config.

/etc/proftpd.conf

# Passive mode added manually by RvdMeer
PassivePorts 3456 3456

Then restart and dont forget the modify firewall settings.

Originally posted by rvdmeer

# Passive mode added manually by RvdMeer
PassivePorts 3456 3456

Nice! It fixed my problems, I read on the FTP Software support forum some info and I was able to get the FTP server to operate in standard (non-passive mode).

With your suggested addition to the config file, and then creating a rule on the Plesk server to allow incoming traffic to port 3456 (tcp) I now have a fully operational FTP server with no delays and works in all clients.

Thanks much for the input rvdmeer!

I dont think so...

In order to resolve the issue of the server initiating the connection to the client a different method for FTP connections was developed. This was known as passive mode, or PASV, after the command used by the client to tell the server it is in passive mode.

In passive mode FTP the client initiates both connections to the server, solving the problem of firewalls filtering the incoming data port connection to the client from the server. When opening an FTP connection, the client opens two random unprivileged ports locally (N > 1024 and N+1). The first port contacts the server on port 21, but instead of then issuing a PORT command and allowing the server to connect back to its data port, the client will issue the PASV command. The result of this is that the server then opens a random unprivileged port (P > 1024) and sends the PORT P command back to the client. The client then initiates the connection from port N+1 to port P on the server to transfer data.

From the server-side firewall's standpoint, to support passive mode FTP the following communication channels need to be opened:

FTP server's port 21 from anywhere (Client initiates connection)
FTP server's port 21 to ports > 1024 (Server responds to client's control port)
FTP server's ports > 1024 from anywhere (Client initiates data connection to random port specified by server)
FTP server's ports > 1024 to remote ports > 1024 (Server sends ACKs (and data) to client's data port)In order to resolve the issue of the server initiating the connection to the client a different method for FTP connections was developed. This was known as passive mode, or PASV, after the command used by the client to tell the server it is in passive mode.

Back