• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Getting an email from Cron Daemon each hour

G

gdimarco

Since yesterday I started getting this email each hour.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Plesk 8

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 8:31 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Cron <root@localhost> run-parts /etc/cron.hourly

/etc/cron.hourly/sendmail:

sendmail: illegal option -- q
sendmail: usage: sendmail [ -t ] [ -fsender ] [ -Fname ] [ -bp ] [ -bs ] [ arg ... ]

I am having the same issue. Is there a fix for this, or Is there anything wrong with disabling this script; i.e. - what is the sendmail -q command intended to do, how should the command be properly issued, and what are the consequences of it not working as intended?

Thanks,

Barry

plesk uses qmail,not send mail you don't need that script...

True, but the real question is: since this just started, did they recently do some update/upgrade which inserted that script into their crontab? If so, then what is the cause?

For any who are curious, Plesk does use Qmail, which provides a 'sendmail' wrapper so things like php scripts can still call the 'sendmail' program, but in reality is running Qmail. The -q option for sendmail would try and force the mail queue to attempt immediate delivery of queued messages.

I'm curious to see what update may be responsible for suddenly inserting a crontab entry...

I would also like an explanation of this hourly mail.cron and a fix if its not needed.

Has anyone made any progress with this?

Add me to the list. Can't figure this one out. Can I just disable the hourly cron task?

Anyone found another solution to this? I'm on Plesk 8.1.1, fedora os4. Still getting these emails every hour. Above solution has not worked.

may I ask how to disable it? Is this something that can be done in plesk?

I never found a way of disabling them, but when I moved from a Fedora 4 system to a CentOS they stopped. Dont know if that helps someone out there to figure out why its happening.

By default cron jobs sends a email to the user account executing the cronjob. If this is not needed put the following command At the end of the cron job line .

>/dev/null 2>&1

Look at (6. Disable Email):
http://www.adminschoice.com/docs/crontab.htm

This is the solution, not sure why you are still posting asking for help! Thanks Slavko!

FYI, if you don't know how to do this:

1. Download Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html)
2. Connect via SSH to your server
3. Type: crontab -e
4. Add the command to dump the result instead of email it (1,16,31,46 * * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backupmng >/dev/null 2>&1)
5. Repeat for each line that doesn't need an email notification

Thanks again Slavko!

Cheers

Back