• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Google Area Map Trouble

R

redherring917

Hi there -

We're having problems getting sitebuilder to accept our Google maps api key even though we are explicitly specifying the web site url for which the key was generated.

Any tricks here? Sure seems foolproof... specifying the specific web site url for which the key, which works elsewhere on our site, was generated would sure seem to make this simple.

Thanks.

What the sitebuilder wizard appears to allow for would sure seem to make this easy. Does the "select provider" popup not suggest that, for Google, regardless of the domain I am editing with the wizard, I could provide my API key for another domain, call it "www.xyz.com", and then specify THIS domain as the web site URL to have the API accepted?

Or, do I need to generate unique API's for each separate domain? If so, in edit mode the map won't work since I am still on my domain, call it www.xyz.com, and not the domain to which the edits will eventually be published. Does that make sense?

If you can offer any assistance with this implementation it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi there -

I really would love some help here. I have successfully custom integrated Google maps into several non-sitebuilder sites, so I have a pretty decent idea of what's going on, but still do not understand how this all fits into the sitebuilder infrastructure. But, since it's an available module within sitebuilder, i'm assuming that the answer has to be an easy one that i am somehow missing.

Again, the problem would seem to me to be that: I need to generate a domain-specific Google map API, but while i am building / editing the site in sitebuilder i am on one domain - ours - but when the site is published it is published to an entirely different domain, the domain of the user.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

OK. Stand down everyone. I seem to have it working. Weird though...

Needed to generate an API for our site on which sitebuilder is running to embed the module and pick a location, then publish the site, at which time the api was rejected, the generate a new api for the published site, and go back into sitebuilder and edit the api for this site.

Weird. Seemed to work.

I am having the same problem. Are you saying that you add the map, publish the site and then go back in and add the url and location and it works?

I think it's a bug, does anyone know how to reach the bug guys? An email?

Hi there -

Yes. Weird for sure. But then again, the integration would appear to be problematic as these API's need to be domain specific, and the domain on which the map resides when building the site is not the same as the domain on which the map resides once the site is published. What I found odd though was that i could still have a functioning map in sitebuilder edit mode after revising the api to that of the published domain?

The "select provider" popup seems to suggest that, regardless of the domain I am editing with the wizard, I could provide my API key for another domain, call it "www.xyz.com", and then specify THIS domain as the web site URL to have the API accepted, but that did not work for me.

Anyways, here's what i did. Generated an api for "our" domain on which sitebuilder resides. Picked a location and embedded the map. Published the site - api was rejected on browsing to page on which map was embedded. Generated new api for published domain. Went back into sitebuilder for this site and revised the api to that of the published domain. Published the site. Map appears correctly.

Thanks.

d

Tried that, didn't work for me. Mine does not even let me get a location.:(

I was told to go for support, but they told me to talk to the bug support. I just need the bug report email address. It was on my last email, but my computer (laptop) went down so I do not have access to that email.

Hi Steve.

Bummer. I don't have that email address for you.

How "far" can you get in selecting a location? This is what i do, which is not at all to presume that it's not the same thing you're doing:

- select choose location
- enter an address and click find location
- click on the resultant pin point, give the location a name, and click save
- click ok to close the choose location window

Originally posted by redherring917
Hi Steve.

Bummer. I don't have that email address for you.

How "far" can you get in selecting a location? This is what i do, which is not at all to presume that it's not the same thing you're doing:

- select choose location
- enter an address and click find location
- click on the resultant pin point, give the location a name, and click save
- click ok to close the choose location window

Right now I cannot choose a location, it does nothing, says it cannot find the location - but it is a good location.
No pin to select.
I can Close ok :)

Maybe it's my setup, I do not want to hire support when I feel Site Builder is not working as it should. If it's my problem, then I will pay to have things fixed. I have several customers that want to use it and can't right now. Once I get the bug email, I will try to contact them.

Hello guys,
Sure, it works very strange and unhandy now. We'll try to improve this module in 4.1.

Back