• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Google Map API Key

S

snyhof

I setup the wrong URL for my site. Now when I added the correct site it keeps telling me I have setup the wrong URL

Steve, I get the same problem all the time with the built in Sitebuilder map module.
I was never able to get it to work. The funny thing is is that it is supposed to be so
simple, and it should be.
Google asks me for my domain name and then creates the API key. I go to Sitebuilder
cut and paste the API key and type in the exact domain name/url that I typed in Google.
It, the Sitebuilder map module returns from Google that the key is for some other URl than what I specified.
I was never able to get it to work.
Is this the same thing thats happening to you?
If you find a fix/work around etc, can you post it?
Good luck!

Dave.

Do you mean you get an error when you try to add "Web site URL" in Advanced section for Area Map module? Guys, could you post here exact message which you get?

API Map Error

Select Provider works fine...
Click to get API from Google works fine...
Generating the key works fine, click OK - all works fine...
Choose Location - ERROR see images

This was working after installing 4.1 over 4.0 - Parallels did the installation.

Well, I'm glad to know it doens't work for you either.
Neat, we both can't get it to work, so that might mean something :))

I've been spending so many hrs reading, reading, and reading more to find what
I might be doing wrong, but I just can't seem to pinpoint it.

Oh well, they fix something and break something else. So, whats new?

Thanks for writing and if you find out what is causing it can you please let US ALL know?
Maybe it quit working for others and they just didn't find it out yet :)

Dave.

Oh, one other thing. The screen shots you took are exactly what I get also.
API key is for another URL. So, hummm.... how can that be when google
actually gives the URL that the key is for and it is typed in exactly into the Sitebuilder
map module? Its supposed to be dummy proof, at least I thought...

You know, when I read someone else's frustration, I feel bad for all the bad mouthing I have done here. It is true Parallels has some issues to work through, but I am still here because in spite of all the downfalls, it is still the best and most professional system I have ever worked with.

Moving from 4.0 to 4.1 did fix this issue for me. 4.0 was known to have mapping issues. However, we are both in 4.1 now and I am too afraid to install 4.2 because of the other issues I may face. Currently everything else is going well.

Well, almost everything, I do have a complain in for the site default pages. 4.1 wiped out all my default pages and in fact disconnected them all from all my sites. I setup all my sites so I am going to sit tight on this one and hope 5.0 (which is supposed to have page naming capabilities) will have this fixed.

I haven't tried to reboot the server, but I have rebooted it sense and the map still has problems.

Parallels would really like for you to pay for support, and I am about to do so because I need help keeping it running. Best way to deal with it is to think that SB costs 600.00 and you get a year of support. I personally haven't made that move yet because I'm out of money.

I have also been contacted by one of the sales guys, seemed to care about me and how things were going, however, ever sense he sent me an email to follow up - my replies have never been responded too.

So, you can see also that I am frustrated, but even in all this, just today while setting up another site, everything went very well and with no problems - except the map :(

Thanks for letting us know its a common problem. I knew it was a coding problem.
I've worked with google maps, using my own coding, without any problems. But, the
Sitebuilder module has some problems.
Thank you again for ack'ing it.
Dave.

As I understand from developer's clarification functionality works fine if correct configuration is done.
During site editing and on preview page for site specified key in 'Select
Provider' section is not used at all, as Edit and Preview sections are located on Sitebuilder server side and work under Sitebuilder domain. So if you see some errors on these steps it means that Area Map module is not configured or configured not properly in Sitebuilder administrator area.
Try to check Sitebuilder admin interface -> Server -> Modules -> Area Map, there you need to have key generated for Sitebuilder hostname URL. Try to re-generate this key one more time. Use Sitebuilder URL for it and your Google account. After that specify generated key.
When administration part will be configured you can do the same for regular site. For key generating you need to use your WEB site URL which will be used for publishing. This is important to use correct web site URL. Try this and let me know about the results.
Developers are informed about this situation and working on it, as it is not clear how configuration should work properly and which part is misconfigured.
Right now if you check demo site on Parallels web site and try to add Area Map module it should work correctly: http://sitebuilder4.win.demo.parallels.com/Wizard/. I checked that and it looks good for me now.

Hey, thanks for writing.
I think there is a confusion when it comes to the API Key entry in the
Server>Modules>Area Map as to what it actually wants. And, maybe its
causing our problems.
What is confusing is is this entry supposed to be for any of the URLs that the Plesk
server supports? For example, our one server has 8 IPs, and those IPs are physical
Internet addresses. So, if each IP is a web site, which IP, or URL on the server
would go into this area?
I understand that the actual Sitebuilder Map API key would be specific to the
URL/domain and that the key generated by Google would go into this area.
One other thing that really confuses me... And, I dont know if Plesk can handle it.
One of my domains/IPs/URLs has around 10 aliases tied to a domain name.
So, if Google creates an API key for a domain name, will and how will it still work
if someone comes into the server using an alias domain? And the API key is tied to
another domain name?
I'm hoping that someone from Parrallels writes to help resolve this issue.
Thanks!

I spoke too soon. Both sites where I have maps now take forever to load and then are blank. When I go back in to edit - same thing, long wait and then an error telling me that I have a bad key. - So something is not saving.

Now I am beginning to think something is up with Google itself. When I do a search from the IE7.0 search field (top right). Google does not always work - for about a week now. Ask, Live and Yahoo all work from here without an issue, but Google hangs 50% of the time.

Now the map in the one site is working fine, but I can also search Google.

Hello Snyhof!
Thanks for your feedback. It lets us all know what everyone is experiencing.
I'm a bit glad but yet confused, that you got it working.
I've talked to several people that cannot get as far as you did.
I my self cannot get it to work and I've tried different URLs/domains in both the Server
settings and the Sitebuilder settings.

What we need is some more feedback from others. Others, if you have it working, can
you please post how you did it?

Thanks!

Dave.

There is really following issue exists ( when Sitebuilder registered with different domain names ) which can not be resolved at this moment in current version. For example, Sitebuilder administrator uses http://sitebuilder.providername.tld URL for accessing Sitebuilder and he generates API key for this URL. But some clients use different URL for accessing Sitebuilder. In this case as Google key assigned to one exact domain name customers which use different URLs for Sitebuilder will experience descried issue on Edit step.

So for now, to get it work following rules should be observed:

1. Area module registration should be done as described here:

http://forum.swsoft.com/showpost.php?p=202375&postcount=10

2. Users should use the same URL for Sitebuilder access, as administrator. The same URL for which Google key was generated by admin user.
Check it up and let me know about the results.

Hey, thanks for writing.
What is confusing is is this entry supposed to be for any of the URLs that the Plesk
server supports? For example, our one server has 8 IPs, and those IPs are physical
Internet addresses. So, if each IP is a web site, which IP, or URL on the server
would go into this area?
I understand that the actual Sitebuilder Map API key would be specific to the
URL/domain and that the key generated by Google would go into this area.
One other thing that really confuses me... And, I dont know if Plesk can handle it.
One of my domains/IPs/URLs has around 10 aliases tied to a domain name.
So, if Google creates an API key for a domain name, will and how will it still work
if someone comes into the server using an alias domain? And the API key is tied to
another domain name?
Thanks!

Back