1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Growing pains (long) How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.0 and Legacy General Discussion' started by rspurlock, Nov 22, 2006.

1. rspurlock

rspurlock Guest

Hi all,

This is more a general opinion poll than anything else. We're experiencing growing pains and want to move on to the next level while working smarter not harder. We also don't want to keep throwing hardware at the problem which can be costly as you grow.

We currently have several servers running Plesk but we find we quickly fill our servers either by disk space or by load.

I'm afraid that if we continue dropping a $2500 server to host 200 accounts each will be costly in the long term, one by the number of servers needed to grow to any reasonable size AND adding in the management required to keep them running and resources it demands (heat plus power).

How do you guys/gals manage growth? I'm thinking of shifting gears...Our next server to be a larger server with about 1.5TB of storage, dual, quad core cpus and tons of memory so we can put hopefully thousands of sites up. If I can consolidate our servers and put 5-10 1U servers into a single 2U server, is that smart? It would simplify managing the server, backups etc.

Now to do this, I'm considering Expand so we can break out our SQL hosting (mysql and mssql) AND break out mail to a centralized server. Is this the way to go?

Other questions...

Do each centralized mail and sql server need to be running plesk? How does that work if they do? We just want mail on a couple of servers and sql on a couple of servers.

Is platform going to be a problem? Can our Plesk Linux hosting users use a windows based centralized mail server and MS Sql? or are they limted to linux based mail and mysql?

Lastly, how will this all integrate later on with Virtuozzo and HSP?

Asking you because of your experience and wisdom...

2. regx

regx Guest

Mail server needs running Plesk, but SQL server does not.

Yes, they can. But it has some limitations like:
    - no way to manage mailing list (promised in Plesk 8.1 for Windows)
    - no way to migrate mail from existing environment. Expand can not migrate linux mailboxes to windows.

Central mail is not 100% problem-free - just look other topics at the forum.

No. MySQL and PostgreSQL only.

Expand can run in Virtuozzo and can manage Plesks running in Virtuozzo. But it does not provide any Vz-specific management (resources, templates deployment, etc.)

Current Expand version can not be used together with HSP, but they next versions (Expand 2.1 and HSPc 3.3) are promised to work with no conflicts.