• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Growing SpamAssassin Bayes Database

craigh

New Pleskian
Hi there,

One of the e-mail accounts on a server was taking up almost its full quota for no apparent reason. All the usual things (clearing out various IMAP folders, including sent mail and trash) had little or no effect on the amount of disk space being used by the account, as there wasn't much to clear out anyway. Having a look in the file system reveals that the space seems to be being taken up by the SpamAssassin Bayes databases:

# du -h /var/qmail/mailnames/example.com/user
2.2M ./.spamassassin/.spamassassin
6.5M ./.spamassassin
6.7M .
#

So in a 10 MB account with no mail in it, 65% (6.5 MB) of the quota is taken up by SpamAssassin files.

I logged into Plesk and cleared the spam filter database for this account. That cleared up most of the problem:

# du -h /var/qmail/mailnames/example.com/user
2.2M ./.spamassassin/.spamassassin
2.2M ./.spamassassin
2.4M .
#

The "bayes_seen" and "bayes_toks" files in the higher-level ".spamassassin" directory are now down to what I would presume is a default size of 12 kB.

However, in the /var/qmail/mailnames/example.com/user/.spamassassin/.spamassassin directory there are two more "bayes_seen" and "bayes_toks" files, and these were untouched by clearing the spam filter database. So I tried disabling and then re-enabling the spam filter, but this had no effect either:

# du -h /var/qmail/mailnames/example.com/user/.spamassassin/.spamassassin
total 2216
drwx------ 2 popuser popuser 4096 Feb 15 14:08 .
drwx------ 3 popuser popuser 4096 Feb 15 13:41 ..
-rw------- 1 popuser popuser 172032 Feb 15 14:08 bayes_seen
-rw------- 1 popuser popuser 2629632 Feb 15 14:08 bayes_toks
#

As you can see, the files also have today's date, so something has been modifying or at least "touch"ing them.

I know I could just remove and recreate the account, but that would require a bunch of tedious reconfiguring of Horde configurations for this user. I'd rather not simply delete the files in case I break something, especially seeing as they seem to be in use.

Any general suggestions to avoid SpamAssassin files growing to the point where they consume the entire disk quota for an e-mail account?

Configuration information:

Plesk: 7.5.4
SpamAssassin: 2.63

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Back