1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

H-Sphere is far ahead...

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.0 and Legacy General Discussion' started by knocx, Nov 6, 2006.

1. knocx

knocx Guest

Well for 2 years i am waiting for expand to become something usefull but progress is still too slow and the product is still immature.

While i was surfing i had checked H-Sphere , they currently offer wide range of options in the means of clustering DNS , Mail & web servers...etc , completely distributed architecture.

Without clustering support expand does not offer too much especially for enlarging ISPs we are running 8 PLESK servers and management gets worse with plesk day by day since we are dealing with 8 mail servers 8 DNS servers..etc All PLESK servers can only operate stand-alone (blackbox)

checking out http://www.psoft.net/HSdocumentation/sysadmin/index.html may give some inspirations on the new versions may be?

Expand should reach its maturity asağp, we are seriously considering to switch to H-Sphere at the end of 2007 unless we can not find a solution from swsoft.

2. Sergey L

Sergey L Golden Pleskian Staff Member

43%
    Plesk Expand is able to keep Central DNS and Central Mail hosts.
    Well, can you write here some of features from that list which you are the most insterested in and which are not present in Plesk or Plesk Expand yet?

Currently you can split your system to
    * web + ftp servers (Unix or Windows)
    * mail servers (Unix or Windows)
    * dns servers (Unix only)
    * db servers (Unix or Windows)
    by means of Plesk and Plesk Expand.

Soon Plesk Expand will add
    * central helpdesk
    * moving clients/domains between web servers

As I understood, you consider these features not enough. Which extra features you need the most? Load balancing? Services redundancy? Mail clustering?

BTW, had you a chance to compare HSphere and Plesk Expand in some test environment? May I ask for your overall impression of comparing them?

Regards

3. ZeroSixty

ZeroSixty Guest

Expand - Will we be able to enable this central helpdesk for Plesk (Expand) clients only (not domain admins)?

Will the helpdesk open a support ticket if a user emails the system and is there any spam protection? Such as an autoresponder that asks the client to click a link to authorise their email address or only accepting email tickets from email addresses registered in Plesk (in clients contact details).

4. Sergey L

43%
    No. Currently the central helpdesk might be used by any user. Do you need to disable it for some users? Shall it be disabled on per-account basis or for all users of some class (e.g. not available for domain admins)?

Central HelpDesk is mostly an API for integrating with 3rd party HelpDesk software.

Our development team will deliver few plugins for the most widely used Helpdesk solutions. E.g. for Cerberus Helpdesk. All helpdesk specific features are defined by the Helpdesk software actually used. Email gateway settings are totally up to Helpdesk software vendor and your settings.

5. knocx

knocx Guest

hello Expand,

i know expand supports centralized mail server however expand does not support clustering where Hsphere does. Also single MySQL server is not enough either MySQL clustering is also needed

Without a mail server cluster we can not centralize 9500 domains and 22000 mail accounts into one server hence we can not switch to expand

expand may be a solution for people having 2-3 PLESK servers but is still naive for enlarging web hosters having 9-10 plesk servers

As a conclusion we are still waiting for clustering support to buy expand :)

6. knocx

knocx Guest

well i can not really compare HSphere and Expand ... we had tested expand but not hsphere yet.

7. Sergey L

43%
    Indeed. Looks like clustering is really important. I can not promise exact date, but I think it will be added somewhen in 2007.

8. knocx

knocx Guest

Great to hear that :)

please include,

Mail and MySQL Clustering features

this will be great

9. Cranky

Cranky Guest

And distributed Apache (and maybe IIS). :)

10. Sergey L

43%
  11. Cranky

Cranky Guest

That leaves a huge gap in SWsoft's product line between Plesk (+Expand) and PEM as the cost of PEM is very high compared to other solutions such as hsphere.

12. knocx

knocx Guest

yes i agree on that

expand is naive and pem is too expensive,

we just need clustering support on Mail and MySQL pem offers so many needless plugins

13. Sergey L

43%
    What is expected from Plesk Expand in operating MySQL cluster?

Can not you just deploy a MySQL cluster and bind it to Plesk using Remote Databases feature.

AFAIK, SQL interface is the same for general MySQL server and for MySQL cluster (clustering is transparent) so Plesk will create users databases in MySQL cluster just like on any other SQL server.

Did not you try something like that:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/loadbalanced_mysql_cluster_debian

14. knocx

knocx Guest

yes we can setup MySQL as you advice how ever it wont be a native support we wont be able to add remove nodes to the cluster from expand....

the most important is Qmail clustering, it is very hard to manage too many qmail instances

15. knocx

knocx Guest

in the qmail scenario

there should be at least 2 identical SMTP instances sharing the same que(file server , 3rd. server)

so if one goes down other will continue this way it will be load balanced with high availability

16. Cranky

Cranky Guest

I don't think Expand needs to be able to cluster MySQL, as it can be done easily using MySQL cluster as stated above.

Mail & Web clustering are important though.