• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

help on migration and access by IP address for my virtual domain

S

senips

hi,

I have a dedicated server having plesk 8. Actually I am doing a migration to this server from my other dedicated server. So I created my domain in the new server but I do not want to set DNS to point to that because my other server is up and running. So how do i access the new servers domain without setting up DNS record. Can I use my dedicated IP address? I tried my dedicated ip addres but it goes to default plesk page. Any help is apppreicated.

If you are migrating P8 to P8, you need NOTcreate the domain or client on the new server as the migration will allow you to choose domain/client migration. It will give you the options to update the IP/database server, etc.... during the migration.

Matter-a-fact, if the client or domain exists on the new server you will not have the option of migration.

Migration, of course is dependent on your ability to access SSH via root from the old server to the new.

If you need more help, let me know. We have been running migrations quite extensively in the last few weeks.

Thanks for the reply. Actually this is not exactly migration. My current server expires in june, so I want to setup another server to do some additional work on the new server. Before the current one expires, I would want to make the other work properly with additional features. Since I have to create the domain name as same as my existing server, I can not set DNS right now with new server IP for that domain. Until then, I want to access the website thru ip address or someway. Is it possible to configure a virtual host directly pointing to an IP?

Just migrate the client/domain to the new server and set up the DNS to point to the IP you want.

I can not set my dns to point my IP because the domain.com is already pointing to my other server. If change, then it will come to new server but i do not want that happen for some time. Time being, I want to access the new site using the IP

Originally posted by senips
I can not set my dns to point my IP because the domain.com is already pointing to my other server. If change, then it will come to new server but i do not want that happen for some time. Time being, I want to access the new site using the IP

If for editing purposes, you can use the preview site for purposes of viewing the site.

If you are looking to run the site from two different servers, you're out of luck.

You can migrate the site to the new server and prevew it via Plesk and/or the temporary IP but you will not be able to access the temp site via the web for internet use.

Technically, and this could sound a bit confusing, you could edit your local HOSTS file to point the domain to the "new" IP address for the purpose of preview. Assuming the domain is set up on the second box with proper DNS in it's system and proper settings in httpd, you should be able to view it as if that was the live site (essentially, you are bypassing the DNS lookup for the domain name, and forcing your browser to use the IP you specify).
The HOSTS file should be located in your Windows folder somewhere (with mine, it's C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS... but it may differ from one system to another) and can be edited with standard notepad.exe.
Be sure to remove the entry when you are done though, or else you will be unable to reach the real site.
The format for the entry would be:

123.456.789.123 www.domain.com

Of course, you will want to change the IP and the domain itself, but you get the idea.

It rocks!. I just put a entry in host file. It is a very very wonderful idea . You are the man!. It works like a real site. Thanks a lot.

As I mentioned before, remember to clear the entry when you're done, or you won't be able to reach the real site.
And yes, there are times when I have near torn a PC apart, restarted httpd many many times, dumped and restored DNS, deleted and reinstalled the domain... all only to find that I forgot to remove the HOSTS entry and was viewing the "Not Real" site.
It's days like those where Columbia just can not ship enough coffee to my office.

Same here. I did that and forgot. When the domain, mail and everything quit, I thought the domain was corrupt.

Ripped my hair out and finally started over.

Mid-way through it dawned on what I did.

What a way to learn? :p

Back