1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with reasonable hardware requirements

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by mvarre, Jun 17, 2005.

1. mvarre

mvarre Guest

I am in the process of evaluating the possibility of purchasing Plesk to better manage my *nix hosting. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what would be reasonable hardware requirements. I have seen the minimum requirements on the site, however i'd like to get some feedback from other admins running it.

Right now we dont have a ton of stuff. 5 sites being hosted, mostly all running PHP with some MySQL connectivity, but not a ton. Just daily updates content and the sort. We also have about 50 domains we host email for. Probably about 500 email accounts in all.

Now i know this isnt a whole lot, however if i make the decision to do this i need to make sure the hardware i have running under plesk will allow for fairly decent growth over the next several years.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    mv

2. hardweb

hardweb Guest

This depends on the offers you get. A decent configuration today is a Pentium IV with over 3.00Ghz with 2Gb of RAM. The RAM is important because you need to make your server able to handle peaks. Such a config can easily server over 300 domains. It depends however what you have on these domains. If you have now only 5 domains, I don't think that it's necessary to invest in a higher end configuration.

3. smerkel

smerkel Guest

RAM and Disk I/O are typically the two bottlenecks. Our low-end configurations are P4, 80GB STA drives, and 1GB RAM - and they work well. Our higher end configurations are Dual Xeon, 4GB RAM, and 6 x 80GB SATA disks in RAID 5 array, which handle 400+ sites well. We do have some customers that have very intense database applications that we have had to move to SCSI storage subsystems because of the Disk I/O requirement.

One thing I would recommend is RAID on your disks. I'm lazy and hate rebuilding systems, and drives fail more then any other part (excluding fans).

Good luck,

Steve

4. mvarre

mvarre Guest

Im thinking a poweredge 2850 with 143GB 15Krpm scsi running in RAID5. Dual 3.6Ghz xeon 8MB cache starting out with 2GB ram.

I suspect this should be quite sufficient for up to at least 500 domains, all running php and very basic DB stuff.

5. hardweb

hardweb Guest

This is more than enough. The human factor is even more important in the server performance. Even a monster machine can run poorly without the proper administration.

6. mvarre

mvarre Guest

I couldnt agree more, and i know this is a bit off my original topic, however what specifically does "Plesk Update" actually update on the server as far as software? Any core OS stuff?

7. hardweb

hardweb Guest

It updates only Plesk dependencies.