• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Horde and Attachments

• Thread starter networkthinking
  • Start date
N

networkthinking

Hello,
We were running 7.1.3 and had attachment problems with Horde. It seems large attachments would not open (see errror below).

We upgraded to 7.5.2 today hoping this would be fixed and have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 15086901 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/webmail/horde/imp/view.php on line 40

Thanks,
Wally

Change your memory_limit value in /etc/php.ini, then restart apache.

I tried changing from 8M to 20M and get the same error, just with different numbers.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 20971520 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 11025042 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/webmail/horde/imp/view.php on line 43

Wally

I am having the same exact problem as networkthinking and need some help. Changing the memory limit variable in php.ini and bouncing Apache did not help; my users still cannot send email with attachments. :confused:

Any help on this would greatly be appreciated!:)

-Daniel

Thanks for the reply! Will try to bump it to 64 MB.

Does it matter that my error message has a different path and.php file (see message below)? I noticed yours was: horde/imp/view.php

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1903793 bytes) in /data/httpd/vhosts/webmail/horde/pear/Net/SMTP.php on line 714

Not sure about that.

I should give credit to smtalk for fixing this for me. He advised to up with 64m.

Hope that helps.

Ok, no problem. I figured I would ask as it was the only thing I could see different between your issue and mine (i.e. outside of that they are the same).

Thanks to smtalk too for the tip. Still have to try it when I can get access to a secure shell.

-Daniel

Hi folks,

one of our Customers had the same problem. He tried to send an attachement of about 8mb. So we tried to locate the error.

The script in which the error occurs seems to vary from attachement to attachement(-size).

We hooked in at the script which was generating the error, SMTP.php from PEAR in our case.
Updating this to version 1.2.6 didn´t solve anything.

The next step was to find out how much memory the script actually uses. This was done with a simple echo memory_get_usage(); in quotedata() above and beyond the line that sucked. (a preg_replace)

This showed, that the script uses, with an "offset" of about 2.4mb, about 5 times the size of the attachement (before and after).

ok, so we have a memory-usage of about 51mb BEFORE a preg_replace (don't know, what is parsed, hopefully NOT the attachement ;)), which expects also a bunch of memory.

this hunger for memory seems to be a basal problem of horde, don´t know, what to do about it...

Hope, this helps
- HaRo

SEQUEL...

sorry, i told so much about finding the problem that i hadn´t enough room for our solution, so here it is:

take the size of the biggest attachement that you expect, multiplicate it by 5.5 and put 3mb on top of it, that will be fairly the size of the horde script that will send the attachement.

this is tested up to a 10mb attachement.

not very neat, but it seems to work.

and don´t be puzzled if you have to give php an enormous amount memory for its scripts, if you want to send big attachements... ;)

- HaRo

Back