1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Horde IMP suddenly died

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by knocx, Sep 3, 2005.

1. knocx

knocx Guest

every thing was normal for years, cur ver 7.5.2

no upgrades , no installations are done

when the user comes to imp login page enters user name and password, this happens to all users

we get the error

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

weirdly webmail.domain.com resolves the server ,
    i had checked every setting... what kind of a DNS problem is that?

any ideas

thank you very much

2. knocx

knocx Guest

i have changed my TCP/IP settings and set the DNS serversto the server where the imp installation queries the DNS ...
    nothing changed

how can this be a "DNS problem" if DNS is working excellent and resolves anywhere????

- port 143 acces is OK
    - qmail is working perfectly
    - SMTP POP3 are OK

please any comment or experience is useful for us at that moment

thanks
    knocx

3. phoenixisp

phoenixisp Silver Pleskian

57%
    Are you sure named is running? Try

#killall -9 named
    #service named start

It's worth a shot.

4. knocx

knocx Guest

hello

ofcourse named is working

webmail.domain.com is working and displays the imp login page succesfully...

The DNS error occurs when you try to log-in to imp...very weird issue still investigating, nothing useful all over the web...
    knocx

5. jamesyeeoc

jamesyeeoc Guest

Have you checked the contents of the config files for both horde and imp?

Check date/time stamps to see if they have been changed recently, compare their contents to backup copies. config.php, prefs.php, registry.php, etc...

Check /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.include to make sure the webmail entries are still correct (they probably are or you wouldn't even get to the login screen, just grasping at ideas)

Any recent changes to Horde/IMP such as adding or changing the themes?

Any recent changes to either mySQL or PHP? (could have an effect on webmail)
    At least not that you are aware of...

Have you checked to make sure you have not been hacked/rooted?

6. knocx

knocx Guest

nope.... date time stamps are all 24.Mar.2005 , for all horde and imp config files

- nothing installed new
    - nothing changed...

i dont think that we are rooted.

we had already hardened the tmp , all core commands are chomoded to 700 , if you have any duggestion i can check it

when the imp login screen comes and you try to login then for a short period of time it says web site found... then

DNS Error ...

i am about to get mad...

thanks

7. jamesyeeoc

jamesyeeoc Guest

If your domain has more than one nameserver, have you verified that all nameservers are responding on the internet? The reason I ask is since you say 'for a short period of time it says web site found.. then DNS Error ...' which logically could correspond to additional DNS lookups timing out due to 'lame' nameservers. (just a thought) Currently I use 3 nameservers for my own domain, and 1 is down right now and will occasionally cause the same/similar problems.

Edit: we cross posted just now... so this may not apply judging from your log's 'connection closed by foreign host'

8. knocx

knocx Guest

las succesful login is

Sep 02 15:32:50 HORDE [notice] [imp] Login success for .....

this is the last log line, it seems its broken after than that

IMAP is also working

#telnet localhost 143
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2004 Double Precision, Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

arrrghhhhh.

9. knocx

knocx Guest

Both Name servers are fine and responding

Also i have replaced my stub DNS with the servers IP to bypass Such issues, i mean i use the problem servers' DNS server already...

10. jamesyeeoc

jamesyeeoc Guest

This may be silly, but have you rebooted the server?