• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How can I make my email work again after upgrade from 9.0.1?

R

Robert Earls

I was on 9.0.1, now I'm on 9.2.3

I believe I was using qmail on 9.0.1. As part of the upgrade it was automatically changed to postfix. But something seems to have gone wrong as I now dont seem to get any emails from my server..

e.g.

mutt -s "test email" [email protected] << EOF
> test email
> EOF

This email does not come through, even to my spam box.

Can anyone help me get postfix working, or disable it and re-enable qmail?

Take a look at /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog when you send a message, that should report whatever the problem is that is preventing the delivery.

How did you upgrade to 9.2.3? Using yum?

Robert,

Changing to qmail is easy, follow (first read the installation note below):

1 - Go to /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin
2 - run autoinstaller (command: ./autoinstaller)
3 - follow the steps in the install procedure and select "Qmail Mail Server" and proceed
4 - Qmail is then installed, verify it

Some additional steps, due to bugs in the qmail from 9.2.x:
5 - go to /var/qmail/control and verify that the contents of the files local and me contain the <localhost>.<localdomainName>.tld format, since there should be a FQDN over there and not a <localhost> short name. If not, change the files.
6 - go to /var/qmail/control and:
a) make a copy of qmail-local
b) run command: chown mhandlers-user:popuser qmail-local
c) run command: chmod g+s qmail-local and command: chmod g-r,o-r qmail-local
(verify that you have: -r-x--s--x 1 mhandlers-user popuser 78584 Oct 9 13:26 qmail-local )
7 - if necessary apply the custom tweeks from your previous qmail installation
8 - restart qmail with command: service qmail restart

This should suffice to get back to qmail, with a proper working basic installation of qmail.

INSTALLATION NOTE: if you had some custom configuration in your old qmail, those custom files are likely to be present, even after changing to postfix. If true, track them down and make copies of them.

Trialotto,

Thanks for that. Could I just check I need to do all that? Right now I have re-started qmail.....

/etc/init.d/qmail start

And mail seems to be coming through OK. But obviously I dont want postfix running at the same time and I need qmail to restart with teh server.

Excuse me,

step 6b should contain mhandlers-user : popuser instead of the ridiculous smiley ...

While waiting for the questions and answers to be moderated I did a more intensive search and found the answer to my problem

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --install-component qmail

Thanks for all the useful replies!!

Back