• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How do I migrate from Ensim 4.0.2 to Plesk 9.2.2?

• Thread starter Joseph Kralicky
  • Start date
J

Joseph Kralicky

Hi Folks!
I'm just getting my feet wet with Plesk 9.2.2, and I need to migrate my old hosting customers from an Ensim 4.0.2 box to this new Plesk box. My main concern is email and email passwords. I don't want people to lose their email, and email folders, or have to change their passwords again. What do you suggest? Qmail and Courier Imap seem to put things in a much different place than the Ensim sendmail/imap server did. All Ensim user email (using imap/squirrelmail) was in their home directory under "mail" (unless it was in the inbox). Courier/qmail places mail in /var/qmail/mailnames/<domain>/<user>/<some funky directory structure>

This looks like a huge task to get this right. What should my strategy be? I'm not terribly familiar with qmail and courier, but knew a bit about sendmail.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Joe K.

Hello Joe,

It is impossible to migrate directly from Ensim 4.0.2 to Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2 using the Plesk Migration Manager:

Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2 Migration Guide
Introduction
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PPP9/Doc/en-US/plesk-9.2-migration-guide/63279.htm

Nevetheless, such option is implemented in Parallels Plesk Panel 8.6:

Parallels Plesk Control Panel 8.6 for Linux/Unix Administrator's Guide
Migrating User Accounts, Domain Names and Web Sites from Other Hosting Platforms
http://download1.parallels.com/Ples...plesk-8.6-unix-administrators-guide/17348.htm

Therefore, as a workaround you can try migrating first to Parallels Plesk Panel 8.6 and after that from Parallels Plesk Panel 8.6 to Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2.

Regards,
Denis.

Denis, thank you very much for your reply! That sounds like a good option, but what are my options if I want to stick with the 9.2.2? I'm very handy with linux, so I'd like to try migrating manually. What do you suggest for migrating the sendmail/imap mailboxes to qmail/Courier imap?
Thanks again!
Joe

Hi Denis,
I'm hosting at The Planet. If I were to go the 8.6 to 9.2 route, what would be the procedure? Complete OS reload, or can I replace RPMs? How about license keys?
Thanks!
Joe K

Hello Joe,

The following page of the Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2 for Linux/Unix Installation Guide answers your first question:

Upgrading Parallels Plesk Panel on Linux and FreeBSD
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PPP9/Doc/en-US/plesk-9.2-unix-installation-guide/18514.htm

As for the license, please take a look at the following Knowledge Base article:

I have upgraded my Plesk 7.5 Reloaded server to Plesk 8.x. Do I need to purchase a special license key for Plesk 8.x?
http://kb.odin.com/en/461

Although it is about Plesk 7.5 to Plesk 8.x upgrade, its statements are applicable to Plesk 8.x to Plesk 9.x update either.

Regards,
Denis.

Denis, thanks for the reply!
Can I downgrade to 8.6 without doing a full OS reload? If so where do I get the software?
Also will the 9.2.2 key work on 8.6?
Thanks!
Joe

A couple more questions if you don't mind:
1. Will php 5.2.9 work on 5.6?
2. Will the ensim migration script bring over all the email passwords and email/imap mailboxes?

Thanks again!
Joe

Hi,

Some weeks ago went exactly through the same problem; at the time The Planet could not provide an older Plesk version to help out with the automatic migration so what I did was create the sites and users manually providing them with a generic password and letting them know how to log into the cp and reset it to their old password.
Mail setup was unchanged for mail agents so they didn't really complain.
The biggest issue was to migrate users' mail from sendmail to qmail; for this I used 'mb2md.pl' (google it and you'll find several copies) which basically breaks sendmail's single mail file into a single file per received mail. Once broken, moved these files into the client's current mail folder.
Of course, the less you have to do is better, let your users know in advance so they clean their mailboxes right until dns change and old server stops receiving mail.

saludos,

Back