• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How do I upgrade current MySQL v3.x to v4.x via Updater

T

tcong

Wonder who do I perform an upgrade of MySQL server to v4.1.x using Plesk Updater?

Is there any other simplier method other than binary install using root command prompt?

>>
Fedora Core 2, Plesk 8.0.0, MySQL 3.28.x

you can't update mysql by the plesk updater, you need an update of mysql by yum or up2date

Will it be safe enough such that it will cause server downtime? Or Up2date will be quite an automatic update?

I mean, will Up2date detect Plesk default mysql installed location?

I'm going to assume you have Yum installed. If you don't, go get it.

Edit your yum.conf file (usually in the /etc directory) and add the following lines

[atomic]
name=Atomic Rocket Turtle - $releasever - Atomic PSA-Compatible RPMS
baseurl=http://3es.atomicrocketturtle.com/atomic/art/$releasever/

Now run
Code:
#yum check-update

You should see some mysql packages listed in there (current ART release is 4.1.18)
Now we run
Code:
#yum upgrade mysql
If you are upgrading from any version prior to 4.1.x you then need to edit /etc/my.cnf and add this line under [mysqld]
Code:
old_passwords=1

Restart mysql and you should be set with 4.1.18 without problems

Hi,

Iam upgrading mysql on plesk 7.5.x platform iwouldliketoknow whetherto edit my.cnf after upgrading or before doing it.

Sorry for dum que but pleaseletme know.

Thanks

Ashwin

Edit it after upgrading. Be sure to restart mysql after you do.

Just a few words to say that this procedure works fine. I've a plesk 8 on FC2, and I upgraded MySQL from 3.2x to 4.x with yum successfully.

Thanks for the great description!

Unfortunately, I can now no longer start MySQL!
/etc/init.d/mysqld start
brings: "A timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon"

I read somewhere else that one cannot do that at root level (I a logged in as root via Putty). What else should I do (from another site I read we should log in as user mysql but what password would that be??)

Can you please help me? Many thanks!

Back