1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

how do I uprading php 4.2 to 4.3.11 on plesk 7.5 reloaded

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by pdubbb1, Jun 15, 2005.

1. pdubbb1

pdubbb1 Guest

I wish to upgrade php4.2 to 4.3 on plesk 7.5 reloaded. my operating system redhat 9 on a virtuoso virtual dedicated server.
    Can anyone please give me a step by step instructions on how I can do this upgrade.

2. smerkel

smerkel Guest

Hello:

First, PSA uses the PHP rpm's that are distributed with the OS. You can, however, make use of whatever RPM's you'd like. I should note, that certain things like webmail may care about PHP, so perform these upgrades at your own risk.

Next, you should bookmark www.atomicrocketturtle.com (aka. ART). Very nice resource for PSA tweaks and RPM's that you can use to customize your PSA installation.

As for PHP, ART has RPM's for php 4.3.11 on RH 9. They are located here: http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com/atomic/art/9/RPMS/.

Download php-4-3-11-8.rh90.art.i386.rpm and whatever php extensions you need. If you do an rpm -qa |grep php on your server, you can get a list of what is currently installed - you will at least need the newer versions of these RPM's in order to upgrade.

Once these RPM's are on your server, you can perform an rpm -Uvh php*.rpm in the directory where you placed these php RPM's. You will need to restart Apache (service httpd restart or /etc/init.d/httpd restart or /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart - whatever floats your boat) in order for the new version to become active. You should test after you perform the upgrade. It would also be a good idea to have the original RPM's around in case you need to revert for any reason. It would also be a good idea to make backups of /etc/php.ini and /etc/php.d/.

I would recommend checking out ART as he has other mechanisms you can use, namely using yum to do these type of upgrades. Regardless, this should get you started.

Good luck.

Steve

3. pdubbb1

pdubbb1 Guest

thanx for the info, nut how do I install yum and should I stop plesk before I do install?

4. tbiCCC

tbiCCC Guest

Is ART missing the file php-manual-4.3.11????? Or does this linked to something I have installed extra?

5. poke

poke Guest

To install YUM;
    http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=yum

find an rpm for your OS and install it... You might need a few dependencies so look them up on rpmfind.net as well.....

After installed, edit your /etc/yum.conf file with A.R.T.s channels...

He has explanations at the very bottom of his repositories.... Read them!

hope this helps.

-poke

6. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Golden Pleskian

My php rpm is based on the FC2 rpm, which no longer bundled the php-manual package (it was 50 megs and honestly, did you ever use it? I didnt either).

7. pdubbb1

pdubbb1 Guest

php rpm

Atomicrocketturtle do you have a snmp rpm for plesk 7.5 version version of php?

8. atomicturtle

Yes, php-snmp, imap, mcrypt, mhash, mysql, odbc, and a bunch of other things Im forgetting. I think its between 14 and 17 rpms now (not including dependencies).

9. pdubbb1

pdubbb1 Guest

dependencies

ART, where can I get the dependencies and how do I install them?

10. atomicturtle

Use yum to install/upgrade, its all automatic

11. pdubbb1

pdubbb1 Guest

installing yum

tried installing yum manually and it asked me for dependencies that werent rpms. they were src.rpms. How do I install these rpms?

12. atomicturtle

Im sure they were regular old binary rpms. src.rpms are what you use to create binary rpms, so unless you're an rpm packager, you'll probably never ever touch one of them.

13. pdubbb1

pdubbb1 Guest

yum install

so which yum rpm can I use that I can just install on its own with out any dependencies?

14. atomicturtle

They all require other components to operate, you'll need to resolve those dependency issues manually (or perhaps through up2date) before you can use it

15. pdubbb1

pdubbb1 Guest

yum

thanks alot, I relly appreciate all your help.

16. tbiCCC

tbiCCC Guest

So can I just safely uninstall php-manual?

17. atomicturtle

Yep, yum should do it for you automatically. You might have to use "yum upgrade" instead of "yum update" on older versions.