1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

How much mail-adresses ?

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand Distributed Services Topics (Mail, DNS, Databases)' started by AndreasK, Apr 18, 2007.

1. AndreasK

AndreasK Regular Pleskian

23%
    Hello,
    we use centralized mailserver (standalone for expand) with over 8000 mailboxes.
    How much more we can use on this server?

I need some values for this and a new system.

Current is:

processor : 1
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 3200.110
    cache size : 2048 KB

MemTotal: 2046600 kB
    MemFree: 471092 kB

Thanks an regards

AndreasK

2. eugenevdm

eugenevdm Silver Pleskian

68%
    I can't answer your question specifically because performance issues normally depends on load - just because you have 8000 mailboxes doesn't mean your server is working very hard. Questions you might want to ask yourself are:

* How frequently are these mailboxes being accessed - once a minute, every hour, etc.

* What's the average size of messages stored?

* How many messages actually go through your system every day (I used ISOQLOG to determine this).

* Do you use SPAMAssassin? As far as I know this puts quite a heavy load on the server...

* Do you use anti-virus? This will also put additional load on the server.

* Do you use Greylisting? This will put a little bit of load on your server (well worth it though).

By far the best method to see if your server is starting to under perform is to enable SNMP on it (this can be done with Webmin as far as I know) and plot the CPU and Memory over a period of time. Enabling SNMP on my Expand CM server has taught me a lot about the performance of the server.

For example I can see that when Plesk does a backup the CPU really struggles and my clients have also notified me that if they download e-mail during this period or use Webmail it's impossible slow.

Perhaps another good way to determine performance will be to speak to clients who are using Webmail a lot and ask them if they are happy.

I read up on the history of Qmail (the engine in CM) once and Qmail appears on the surface very fast and robust and able to handle extremely high loads - I recall even Yahoo uses / used to use Qmail engine.