• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

how to fix my IP problem

K

k.satirli

hello guys,

I'm running a 7.5.3 / FC2 server and recently added a few IPs to it.

These IPs were assigned by RIPe and I supplied all information to Plesk that wasn eeded (eg: subnet / IP) but it doesnt work.

At first, I hoped it was only a propagation problem, but ping clearly shows that the domains resolve to the IP.

So I checked with my hoster and they said on their side everything is okay.

Do you have any pointers for this?

ping from outside to domain.com shows the IP that should be shown, however when I access it, it just times out.

I checked firewall settings but nothing is blocked there. At first, forwarding traffic was disabled but I enabled it in the hope that it would help. - it didnt.

Thoughts/

Are the IP's actually assigned to interfaces on the server? Can you ping them locally?

yes,

I can ping the IPs locally, however when I ping them remotely it doesnt work.

so I'm certain its not a problem with the domain but a config problem...

So it sounds like apache isn't actually listening on those IP's.

After you added the IP's in Plesk, and assigned them to their domains, have you tried forcing a restart of apache (apachectl stop/start)? Also, you mentioned a firewall. Have you tried stopping it, to make sure it's not the culprit?

I even did a full reboot just to make sure apache reads in the new IPs.

but I'm pretty certain its not only apache, since my mail servers (mail.domain.com - which point to that IP) also dont work.

I also tried the IP at port 8443 to see if it redirects to plesk - no go.

re: Firewall: I think its not the culprit since the firewall doesnt limit itself to 1 IP, but I'll see if it changes anything if I disable it.

It's most definitely a serverside problem if you can't get to anything on the server via that IP. Plesk only controls the software side of things (apache, qmail, bind, etc), if the IP's are properly added to the system (ie, eth0, eth1, eth2, etc), and not blocked by the firewall, at the very least you should be able to ping/ssh to the IP's.

hm, there I was, hoping that if I added the IPs via Plesk, that plesk would solve all my problems.

do you have any pointers as to where I could check that it actually works?

It seems that the server knows from within that the IPs are there, but from outside it doesnt.

Well, if you can ping the IP's when logged into the box locally, then I'm assuming the IP's are binded to the interfaces. If you do an 'ifconfig -a', do you see all the IP's? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that maybe the subnet mask is wrong on them?

How many IP's did you get? Are we talking a full class c, or just a handful of IP's? You said they came from RIPE so I'm assuming it's a full block. Are they bound to the same interface as your provider's IP's (the one's that came with the server) or is this a colo?

the output from ifconfig -a

shows all the IPs I have like this:

eth0 for the main ip
eth0:1 for the second ip
eth0:2 for the third ip and so on

I got 6 IPs - via an email from a RIPE bot, but the request went to my provider at first.

the subnet mask on the main IP is different to the 6 new IPs, and I checked that with my provider but they said that that would be okay and shouldnt give a problem.

Back