• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to get started with MailMan

T

tuberb

I have a VPS running Plesk 8.0 and I want to use Mailman for one of the domains.

On the Services console in Plesk, the "Setup Mailman" is greyed out and shows a message that "mailing list software is not installed".

When I tried to upload a mailman.tar using the Module Manager, I got a message to the effect that the software was already installed.

How do I get there from here? Do I need an rpm instead of the tar and where do I get it (I spent 20 minutes looking around the fedora site and couldn't find anything). Or can I get my existing software to be configured so that Plesk can recognize it and manage it?

If Plesk knows about MailMan, is there a special version I need to make sure they work together properly?

Thanks,

Barry

Never mind...

Never mind, I found the Updater (was looking for an installer)

Barry

I take that back, am still having problems.

Was able to get Mailman installed, and finally figured out how to reach its home page, and even set the admin password, which the Plesk panel claimed to do but didn't actually do.

Now I can't get Mailman to recognize something other than "localhost.localdomain" as the host name for the lists. I have edited /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py to change the default hosts and add a virtual host. I have also added DNS records for the "lists." domains I named in the cfg file. None of that seems to take, and when I make an admin config change to the general settings for the default list, my browser tells me it can't find the server at "lists.localhost.localdomain".

Is there a configure command to run that will make Mailman accept the config changes I have made, or something else I need to do? I have searched the Mailman docs online, but their config examples don't seem to match my server, and they also say things like:

"Some people use Mailman through Plesk, and they come to the Mailman mailing lists for help when they have trouble. There's usually little we can do to help with these specific problems, and you should contact your hosting provider or Plesk for assistance."

Is there Plesk-specific guidance for Mailman that someone can point me to? Or specific suggestion on how to resolve the default domain issue?

Thanks,

Barry

Back