1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Hung Updating?

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by chrisl@, Apr 4, 2006.

1. chrisl@

chrisl@ Guest

Hello,

I am trying to do an update to v8.0.0. The first time I tried my browser hung before it gave me the confirmation page where it prompts you for email address.

Now I go back in and try it again and it says a process is already running. Doing a ps on the system does not show any running processes for rpm up any update type processes.

Is there a lock file of something that was created during my attempt the first time that needs to be cleared? Is there any way to kill an update process and start fresh? The box was rebooted also with same result.

-chrisl

2. JLChafardet

JLChafardet Regular Pleskian

57%
    my most sincere recomendation.

NEVER but NEVER use the web updater to upgrade to a major version upgrade.

do it from the shell, by hand.

3. chrisl@

chrisl@ Guest

Already done the v8 update. This is for the fixes released a few days ago. Have any hint on how to identify the hang and get out of it?

4. chrisl@

chrisl@ Guest

Does anyone have instruction on how to update via shell? Or can they point me to the location on the support site?

5. troymc

troymc Guest

I too have this same problem on my test box. Updating from shell works, but the web updater hangs. Just run /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller from the shell and you can choose which updates you want to install.

6. troymc

troymc Guest

Do you happen to be on fc2?

7. chrisl@

chrisl@ Guest

I am on FC3. Found the auto updater shell script and was able to get it to work after rebuilding my rpm database. It appears the web version either timed or or something and left the rpmdb in a bad state so other installs were not working.

8. troymc

troymc Guest

So you can update through the Plesk admin? No matter what I do, I can't get it to update. I have rebuilt the db among other things. I have to go in through the shell to update.

9. JLChafardet

JLChafardet Regular Pleskian

57%
    fast.

go to the autoupdater on the plesk admin

upgrade fully 7.5.4

then go to the shell

download the tar.gz

untar it. tar -xzf filenamehere

go to thirdparty-rpm-RedHat-el3-i386

update what it is possible to update there

try rpm -Uhv *

then probably most of there will be outdated or already installed.

so my recomendation is

rpm -Uhv plesk* php* perl*

if any of the perl modules is already installed remove the * and put the one that didnt gave error.

then cd ..
    cd dist-rpm-RedHat-el3-i386
    here
    rpm -Uhv base/* opt/api/* opt/backup* opt/docs/* opt/horde/* opt/mail/* opt/migration/* opt/mailman/* opt/perl/* opt/updater/* opt/vault/*

that should start the process of upgrading.

keep in mind, Im not responsible for anything that may happen to your server.

remember ALWAYS perform a full system backup before performing upgrades.

that what i just told you is what i did and worked on my box and the other servers i manage.

when thats done. remember to remove the ioncube stuff from the php.ini file, it has some problems (at least i had)

regards,