1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Installing SpamAssassin using only Plesk

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by chickenhouse, Jan 4, 2007.

1. chickenhouse

chickenhouse Guest

Hi all,

OK I've searched the web high and low for SpamAssassin help. I found a number of ways of installing it using .tar.gz in putty, followed by a number of commands. Some sort of yum repos or something. All sorts of difficult techincal stuff.

But I figure there must be a simple solution using Plesk.

I have just upgraded my Plesk v 7.5.4 so that when I look at the License Management the "Ability to use SpamAssassin" is turned on.

So I figure all I need to do is add a new application package in the Application Vault. My problem is what SpamAssassin file do I need to upload. I've tried the files Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.7.tar.gz and Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.7.zip and also the install file. None of it works!

Am I being Naive? What do I need to do to get SpamAssassin working. (Questions on how to use it may follow).

Thanks,
    Travis

2. blank_page

blank_page Regular Pleskian

53%
    Hello,

You need to go here:

ftp://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/

choose the right package of plesk and untar it.

Search for the package psa-spamassasin.

install it with rpm -Uvh psa-spamassassin.xxx

Bottom line:

You need two spamassassin packages :

spamassassin > installed as rpm !!
    psa-spamassassin > installed from the plesk package.

Hope this helps.

3. chickenhouse

chickenhouse Guest

Hi,

Thanks a lot, this is definitely putting me on the right track.

However I have some more problems. I'm not sure of my version of redhat in terms of the files available.

I know it's Red Hat Fedora Core 2. Is that the same as RedHatEL2.1 in the ftp://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk7.5/ directory, or is there a command in plesk or putty that will tell me the right version. Maybe it's not that important, I'm not sure.

When I download the file is there a way to untar it in windows. I don't think I want to unload the whole file in UNIX do I?

If I can separate the two files I need how do I get them on to my server. I have a very basic knowledge of UNIX using putty. What would I need to type in and how would I get it in the right place on the server?

Thanks again for your help.

Travis

4. blank_page

53%
    Hello,

From putty as root do the following:

cat /etc/redhat-release
    You will see the Os from here

and

uname -a
    You'l see if it is on 64 bit or not.

Rhel is red hat enterptise linux

If you have fedora core 2 you should choose:

FedoraC2

5. chickenhouse

chickenhouse Guest

Hi,

Sorry I'm getting there but you really need to give me some step-by step instructions.

I know have the file psa-spamassassin-7.5.4-fc2.build75060617.18.i586.rpm

and I can access the other file at

ftp://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/dag/fedora/2/en/i386/RPMS.dag/spamassassin-3.0.6-1.fc2.rf.i386.rpm

From putty how do I ftp the file into my server, and at what place do I store it.

How do I get the psa file installed in plesk. I tried adding it using the Application Vault but it didn't recognise the file. Can I install both files through putty?

Thanks,
    Trav

6. chickenhouse

chickenhouse Guest

Hi me again,

I've now got the spamassassin-3.0.6-1.fc2.rf.i386.rpm in the $HOME directory of my server.

When I run rpm I get the following error.

[pouletmaison@Poulet-Maison pouletmaison]$ rpm -i spamassassin-3.0.6-1.fc2.rf.i386.rpm
    /etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such file or directory
    warning: spamassassin-3.0.6-1.fc2.rf.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 6b8d79e6
    error: can't create transaction lock

I also can't load the psa file into plesk.

Thanks,
    Travis

7. blank_page

53%
    HEllo,

Please log in as root and try that way.

8. chickenhouse

chickenhouse Guest

I don't know how to log into the root you need to give me more information.

I'm not sure I can anyway as this is a virtual dedicated server.

Thanks,
    Travis