1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible Plesk does not store one critical data in backup?

Discussion in 'Plesk for Windows - 8.x and Older' started by jerry2, Aug 17, 2007.

1. jerry2

jerry2 Guest

Hi there

I am positive now that Plesk backup does not store the critical things. Namely my changes to the files and folders. I've made several writable floders and files and now I am positive that information is lost when I restore the data.

This is a huge problem if you have 30+ sites. Is it possible Pleask would (or rather say woudln't) do that?

Jerry

2. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    What do you mean "critical data"?
    For example, Plesk does not backup empty folders.

3. jerry2

jerry2 Guest

Well, by critical data I mean I have many folders that I needed write access and delete access to them. I changed that with Plesk and of course folders are not empty, people upload me pictures. If I restore from Plesk backup, I am at the non writable folder again. I again have to make the specified folders writable. So my backup is very crippled after restore.

Yours

Jerry

4. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    Plesk backups domain's files. However these files can be restored only with Physical Hosting.
    If you remove Physical Hosting before restoration then these files will be restored.

5. jerry2

jerry2 Guest

I don't understand you, sorry. I put a backup on the empty Plesk installation, there were no phisical hosting, hosting was restored from backup. I didn't overwrite old hosting, I installed Plesk and put my backup file (30 sites) on empty Plesk. After that I didn't have writable folders I had before I reformatted the disk.

6. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    Which Plesk version did you restore your backup from?
    Plesk allows restore file's permissions since version 8.2.

7. jerry2

jerry2 Guest

Unfortunately I first upgraded to 8.2 and then made backup. Since my problems (you know theapplication pool freezes) I have reformatted my disk and installed again. So I have a Plesk 8.2 backup, not a Plesk 8.1.1. backup. File permissions do not seem to be restored.

8. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    We can guess the followings
    1. files' permissions were not included into file .Security during upgrade. We are inverstigating this scenario.
    2. files' permissions were changed not through Plesk. Such changes have not been put into .Security.

9. jerry2

jerry2 Guest

I can confirm I made the changes through Plesk not server directly.

Yours

Jerry

10. jerry2

jerry2 Guest

Maybe we did not understand each other. Did you mean I have to set permissions using Plesk 8.2? I made them in Plesk 8.1.1, upgraded to 8.2 and saved backup. But maybe you wanted to say I need to modify/make permissions using Plesk 8.2. I didn 't do that, I made permissions on 8.1.1. Maybe the permisiions are saved in new file .security ONLY when I make them in 8.2. If this is so, it should be working (I didn't reformat again).

I am only desperate because of my application pool crashes because of protect.dll library :(

11. andrey@

andrey@ Guest

Unfortenantly Plesk saves file or folder permissions to .Security since version 8.2. So your changes you made before 8.2 are lost.

12. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    Unfortunately it's true.

jerry2,

Thank you for the report. It will be fixed as soon as possible.

13. jerry2

jerry2 Guest

Hi

As it seems it is nothing to fix, because changes are not saved in a pre 8.1.1. environment.

14. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    In this case it is true.