• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Is it possible Plesk does not store one critical data in backup?

J

jerry2

Hi there

I am positive now that Plesk backup does not store the critical things. Namely my changes to the files and folders. I've made several writable floders and files and now I am positive that information is lost when I restore the data.

This is a huge problem if you have 30+ sites. Is it possible Pleask would (or rather say woudln't) do that?

Jerry

Well, by critical data I mean I have many folders that I needed write access and delete access to them. I changed that with Plesk and of course folders are not empty, people upload me pictures. If I restore from Plesk backup, I am at the non writable folder again. I again have to make the specified folders writable. So my backup is very crippled after restore.

Yours

Jerry

Plesk backups domain's files. However these files can be restored only with Physical Hosting.
If you remove Physical Hosting before restoration then these files will be restored.

I don't understand you, sorry. I put a backup on the empty Plesk installation, there were no phisical hosting, hosting was restored from backup. I didn't overwrite old hosting, I installed Plesk and put my backup file (30 sites) on empty Plesk. After that I didn't have writable folders I had before I reformatted the disk.

Which Plesk version did you restore your backup from?
Plesk allows restore file's permissions since version 8.2.

Unfortunately I first upgraded to 8.2 and then made backup. Since my problems (you know theapplication pool freezes) I have reformatted my disk and installed again. So I have a Plesk 8.2 backup, not a Plesk 8.1.1. backup. File permissions do not seem to be restored.

We can guess the followings
1. files' permissions were not included into file .Security during upgrade. We are inverstigating this scenario.
2. files' permissions were changed not through Plesk. Such changes have not been put into .Security.

I can confirm I made the changes through Plesk not server directly.

Yours

Jerry

Maybe we did not understand each other. Did you mean I have to set permissions using Plesk 8.2? I made them in Plesk 8.1.1, upgraded to 8.2 and saved backup. But maybe you wanted to say I need to modify/make permissions using Plesk 8.2. I didn 't do that, I made permissions on 8.1.1. Maybe the permisiions are saved in new file .security ONLY when I make them in 8.2. If this is so, it should be working (I didn't reformat again).

I am only desperate because of my application pool crashes because of protect.dll library :(

Unfortenantly Plesk saves file or folder permissions to .Security since version 8.2. So your changes you made before 8.2 are lost.

Originally posted by andrey
So your changes you made before 8.2 are lost.
Unfortunately it's true.

jerry2,

Thank you for the report. It will be fixed as soon as possible.

Hi

As it seems it is nothing to fix, because changes are not saved in a pre 8.1.1. environment.

Back