• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

just to clarify (Plesk DNS)

J

JonRohan

Hey,

If I can pick your brains for a second. The DNS on plesk is not designed as a true DNS name server is it? I assume its just used for plesk?

I have a dedicated box but am using a secondary supplier for DNS which is costing, any recommendations on how to a: get my own name server up and running. b: the best software to run with plesk 7.02 on a 2000 server machine.

Thanks

Jon

Plesk uses bind 9 as dns server...

7.5 will also support microsoft dns..

oh cool. So I have my own nameserver. Thats good, just need to get it all figured out. I still just cant point domains to my server though can I?

Thanks

register your name servers as domain hosts
setup your domains in plesk
set the nameservers for your domains ;)

Originally posted by AbsolutelyFreeW
register your name servers as domain hosts
setup your domains in plesk
set the nameservers for your domains ;)

Ok that sounds good. Any chance of giving me a little guidence :) .

Got all my domains set up in plesk with all DNS entires. Thats cool.

How do I register my name servers as domain hosts? I assume as I have bind I already have name servers,. I can see ns.domain.com in my dsn, is it a matter of just pointing it to that? Or can I use a general setting?

I would then put ns.domainname.co.uk into the name server attributes on my admin for each domain.

it depends. if you have external name servers for your domain, then you dont have to make domain hosts, you just make A entries for ns.domainname.co.uk etc just like any other domain.

If you want your own domain to be served by your name server you need domain hosts. domain hosts are set from your domain registrars panel. unfortuanately not al registrars allow you to set them.

yes, then just point the domains to your ns's. to be sure they work, query your domains from your ns's directly with nslookup (or equivalent)

At the moment I have external name server pointing to us. I want to erradicate this and do it all via plesk.

At the moment when I try and put ns/b61.co.uk as my name server my register just adivses me that it doesn't exist.

is that ns.b61.co.uk?
doesn't work here either..

you need to set A entries for ns1.b61.co.uk and ns2.b61.co.uk at the same name server that handles www.b61.co.uk

I've done that now. ns1.b61.co.uk and ns2.b61.co.uk. They still show as unrecognised but perhpas i need to leave them propragte (sp).

Ill let you know if it works.

Cheers for your help mate.

still doesn't seem right:

Name: ns1.b61.co.uk
Served by:
- ns2.2host.co.uk
b61.co.uk
- ns1.2host.co.uk
b61.co.uk

>nslookup ns1.b61.co.uk ns1.2host.co.uk
Server: ns1.2host.co.uk
Address: 195.62.28.14

*** ns1.2host.co.uk can't find ns1.b61.co.uk: Non-existent domain

I have no idea what im doing lol.

I need to read up more on plesk dns. The help quide isn't great for the dns.

What I would like is for plesk on my machine to manage all domains, im relying on an external company which sucks.

Do you have seperate nameservers or do you run it off plesk?

If you want to know all about DNS: buy a good book, such as "DNS and Bind" by Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu (ISBN 0-596-00158-4), as well as "DNS and Bind Cookbook" by Cricket Liu (ISBN 0-596-00410-9)
These books have proved to be invaluable to me.

Good Luck

Cheers dude. I have been doing some reading and hopefully have sorted it all out. I will soon tell in the next 24 hours.

A good book would be a valuable guide though.

Back