• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mac Server Still Serving

A

aloreep

I had so many problems getting Plesk to actually install on my Mac OS X Server. Now that it's finally there, I'm still having a problem.

When Plesk installed, it killed the Server Admin, which is understandable, but currently if I request any pages from my server, they are returned from the original server point, instead of being returned from Plesk.

I'm not sure if I've done something wrong or how to change it over. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Plesk for OS X is only for the workstation version of OS X, and not for OS X Server.

I think you very well may be right. Don't think that I didn't notice that while I was installing, but as "workstation" isn't exactly a title that Apple uses, I was hoping it wasn't completely applicable.

I am in great need for a control panel and I was really hoping that Plesk would be it. I haven't completely given up hope, but if I format, and reinstall the os and the software and have no luck, I suppose I'll be forced to find another option. That said, I wasn't exactly looking forward to the prospect of another build from the ground up, so I posted on here in case any one else had a better idea (besides give up all together).

I see. The problem with installing Plesk on OS X server is that they both are trying to take control of programs for webserving, mail and dns, and their repsective ports.
This could cause so many unpredictable problems that I wouldn't recommend trying this combination.
You're better off doing a base install of OS X (the 'normal' version) and installing Plesk on top of that.

Well, the thing about Mac OSX server is that you're supposed to be able to turn off the control of dns, webserving, mail, and etc. I don't know if you've ever played with it, but every aspect of the server is attached to on/off switches. And if you so choose, when you install, they can (and arguably should) be all set to off.
I turned a couple on this last time before installing Plesk. Then Plesk disabled access to the "on/off" switches. Which is why I'm thinking that if I reinstall the OS, then before I turn any of the switches on, I install Plesk, I might bypass my problem.

This isn't my site, but you can go here to get a peek at Server Admin, which is the on/off switch application I was referring to. Note: grey dots mean that the service is stopped, green dots mean that the service is started. Currently, if I look at my Server Admin, all the dots are red because they are unavailable.
http://futureshare.lip6.fr/MacOSXServer-Config10.3.html

I have been trying to get OSX to work as a web hosting platform for over a year now. I had a large investment in Apple hardware and software which has proven to be not up to the task.

I was very happy when SW Soft announced Plesk for OSX. My joy was shortlived. The install went OK but there are many bugs in Plesk for OSX that are showstoppers for me. After over a month chasing tech support I gave up. I have sold my xServes and have bought a Dell. I have found that the Linux versions of Plesk are much less buggy and Linux is so much faster for web hosting than MacOS.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Mac fan and user (since 1985). They have the best workstations in my opinion, but OSX server is just not optimised for web hosting. I have some big e-commerce stored hosted on some very high powered Macs and they are thrashing it to death. A much more modest box running Linux is much faster.

So, to the point of my reply, Have a serious think about whether it is worth persisting with MacOS for hosting. Most of Plesk's clients are running Linux, as are most web hosts. This means better support and less bugs. MacOS accounts for almost none of the Plesk user base, and based on my experience with it, will never amount to much. As much as I hated making my decision, my life is much easier since deciding to get rid of my Mac servers.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, once again I got it to work by formating the hard drive and reinstalling.

It's discouraging to hear that I should probably give up on my Mac server, but I'm glad to have an experienced opinion. I'm very near quitting, but as it seems to be working now, I'm going to give it one last chance.

You don't have to give up on OSX Server. I have it running right now...in production.

First, as you say, you do have to turn off all the server services. Then you can install Plesk without issue.

The one thing that I am struggling with right now is that the FrontPage component and DRWeb were not installed. I don't know why and am looking for someone to help me get it turned on/installed.

Back