1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Mail Migration

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.2 Troubleshooting Issues' started by Blackbit@, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Blackbit@

Blackbit@ Guest

Hi all,

i have problems migrating mail from my current productive systems. I'm planning to combine all current Plesk-Servers into my trilogy of Plesk Expand, Plesk 8.2 and Plesk 8.2 Centralized Mail. Did anyone manage to migrate a whole domain into those Plesk Expand systems?

I tried the solution of http://kb.swsoft.com/en/1042 or migration of the Plesk 8.2 Migration Manager. But the Backups from Plesk 7.5.4 were not compatible, pleskrestore said, the backup is not valid.

But the automatic migration didnt fetch any mails and did not even create the empty accounts on my CM-System, instead it blew up the disk space from my Hosting, wich was not planned to keep the mails...

I'd like to use different servers for CM and Hostings and manage both over Plesk Expand.

I've posted this issue to Plesk Support, but they didn't reply yet and i'm running out of time.

Would it help to create all accounts manually and copy the "old mails" directly from the Qmail-directories?

Please help, i'm running out of ideas... ;)

Regards,
    BLACKBIT

2. shortcut

shortcut Guest

Migrate EVERYTHING to a fresh plesk for linux server.

ADD that server into Plesk Expand.

Assign the centralised mail server, and select that you wish to migrate content.

You wont be able to easily migrate extra domains onto the box once you have assigned a seperate mail server, but beforehand you should be able to fairly easily.

Assuming your environment is 100% linux, you should be OK.

-S

3. shortcut

shortcut Guest

First, migrated domains on to a Plesk for Linux WEB server.

Next, added the server to Expand.

Next, added the centralised mail server.

For the domains that didn't come across to the central mail server (only a few, about 150), I did this:

I logged onto the CENTRAL MAIL LINUX PLESK server, and migrated everything manually, and manually removed all the hosting accounts, but left the mail accounts for the domains in question.

Then, I re-synched the plesk server and the central mail server in Expand, and it tidied them all up.

-S

4. gort

gort Guest

When you say manually removed all hosting accounts -

do you mean you manually nuked the /vhosts /* files
    but otherwise left the domains in Plesk CP ??

What to delete/remove yet keep mailboxes active?

5. shortcut

shortcut Guest

Ahh, by manually, in this case I mean that I used the plesk migration tools on the

Plesk mail server, and migrated the domain individually.

I used the migration tool on the WEB server, and migrated the domain individually.

I then logged into plesk on the MAIL server, and in the HOSTING setup for that domain, removed the hosting component from within PLESK, and removed any databases that were still left on the MAIL server.

I wasn't able to remove the MAIL components on the HOSTING server however, as the icon is not visible, however so far this hasn't posed an issue.

I guess you could leave the hosting component on the mail server, but it's a bit messy, and really, you want all that room for MAIL.

After I'd done that, I logged into expand and re-synched it, and it seems to have worked.

Cheers,
    Sean.

6. gort

gort Guest

well, it worked eventually, the biggest problem was expand messing with our zone files. Expand changed Mail IP for all of our clients who have external mail servers to the CM server which was a nightmare once we realised what had happened. Reversing the process in expand doesnt fix it either!

Anyway, we have moved on and now have CM working.

The only thing left is house keeping. Is there a recommended way of deleting all of the mail files no longer being used on the web server?

rm -rf /var/qmail/mailnames/* ???

7. Bers

Bers Basic Pleskian Staff Member

70%
    Hello,

yes, you can remove these files from your web server, if it's assigned to Cmail server.