• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail - "Reject" or "Bounce with phrase "

Pagemakers

Silver Pleskian
Can someone tell me what the difference is between "Reject" or "Bounce with phrase " on the email preferences page.

The difference is the response from qmail and what it does with the message.

Reject:

<[email protected]>:
111.111.111.111 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)
Giving up on 111.111.111.111.

This message comes from the sending SMTP server, rather than your Plesk box meaning the email never enters your mail queue. 0 emails fully processed by your server. Your Plesk box will refuse to accept the message saving data transfer.

Bounce:

<[email protected]>:
This address no longer accepts mail.

This would be a standard bounce message from the Plesk mailserver, similar to an autoreply really but the original message is deleted. The email entered your mailqueue then was returned to the sender - 2 emails fully processed by your server.

Cranky,

Can you tell me why I am getting hundreds of rejected emails emailed to me via my server when I have all my client's email accounts set to "reject" or how to stop the emails?

the "reject" option sounds like a good idea since it never makes it into the server. But now the spammers have figured out sometrhing new .. they just keep sending mail to a valid POP account until it becomes full .. Then qmail will bounce back messages to sender as "mailbox is full" but the sender is spoofed and it winds up going to their intended recipient.

so what qmail needs is 553 Mailbox is full

message.

so not a bounce message, but a Reject on mailbox full.

Yes, I hope someone can send this on to a developer at plesk or qmail soon. Lots of customers are having their mailboxes filled within minutes and all I do everyday is keep adding more mail servers to the blacklist

Originally posted by shortcut
so what qmail needs is 553 Mailbox is full

message.

so not a bounce message, but a Reject on mailbox full.

Im investigating a solution currently.

Im looking through all other posts on the forums,

taking a good measure of changes that Atomic Rocket Turtle suggets, and will try and produce a list of things to do to a blank server.

Cheers,
Sean.

Back